none
Tests of MS security patches

Question

• I am Test manager for a large NHS hospital in London. We have an estate of 10,000+ PCs, Lap Tops and other devices all require to have MS security patches applied. In order to proceed with implementation, I would like to test the monthly patches first in a Test Lab. The purpose of the tests would be to determine that the patches are safe deploy and don't bring down our Production environment and to check that they have no regressive impact on on our Priority 1/Business critical applications.

Are their any suggestions from the forum on what to test ?

My view is not very radical and possibly a touch on the luddite my approach would be to focus on the end user access/shut down/reboot,  simple end user system process flows tested just from the UI, distribution, installation, rollback of client packages, Security.

Anyone has any other ideas ?

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 6:33 PM

Answers

All replies

• You have asked in the wrong forum. This forum is for questions and discussions about the TechNet Wiki. I will move this question to a more appropriate forum.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 9:14 PM
  • Sorry, I couldn't find a good forum for this question. The best might be this one for Windows Server Update Services:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/home?forum=winserverwsus

But I will move this question to a forum where others may have better ideas about where to direct you.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 9:34 PM
  • Also check the application vendor sites. Many of them post listings of approved windows updates.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 9:49 PM