Stop Error 0x0000007B During Windows Home Server RE-installation RRS feed

• Question

• Sorry this is long winded, please dont give up on me....

My 120 day eval copy has expired so i have just bought the oem version.  I have 1x 250gb drive which houses the OS and 2x 500gb drives full of data.  Therefore i MUST use a 'Server Reinstallation' type installation that the OEM version allows, to retain the data on the shares.

So i start the reinstallation, but following the first reboot (as many other users have found i gather) i get the dreaded Stop Error 0x0000007B.  I have read this thread in detail, but it doesnt help.

Basically, at this point there is no way i can use different drivers using the installer, it reboots, comes up with the dos windows installation screen and even if i press F6 it skips that stage and generates the error.  So i have removed the 250gb drive to examine the files and see if i can use alternative drivers, and this has been interesting.

I have 2 Silicon Image SATA controllers and need external drivers for windows to recognise both.

On the OS partition, there is the following structure below (*= a folder that contrains the drivers files), however, there are ONLY drivers for ONE of the controllers (3114) there are no drivers for the 3112 controller.  I have checked all the other folders and there are NOT drivers at all for the 3112 controller so i suspect this to be the problem.

Directory of Z:\$OEM$
     Directory of Z:\$OEM$\drivers
    *Directory of Z:\$OEM$\TEXTMODE*
     Directory of Z:\$WIN_NT$.~BT
    *Directory of Z:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\$OEM$*
     Directory of Z:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\system32
     Directory of Z:\$WIN_NT$.~LS
     Directory of Z:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\$OEM$
    *Directory of Z:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\$OEM$\TEXTMODE*
     Directory of Z:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\I386

My problem is this; if I simply copy the 3112 drivers into the same folder as the 3114 drivers, then i will overwrite the original files, so i have two choices:

1) create subfolders (would this work??  i suspect not)
    2) merge the drivers files to create one set of drivers.

Can anyone help me out here please?  What would you suggest, i do not have any other storage to move my data off the existing WHS drives so i will be really stuffed if i cannot perform the RE-Installation.

Thanks loads for any advice.
    Monday, October 13, 2008 9:39 PM

Answers

• I think you're correct that you're having driver issues. If at all possible, I would try to put your storage controllers into IDE compatibility mode, so that your SATA drives will look like IDE drives. In that mode, you may not need drivers.

If you have to use drivers for your controllers, I have found that I get best results in adding drivers during text mode setup if I'm using a PS/2 style keyboard (not USB) and if I start tapping the F6 key every 1/4 second or so starting just before I see the "Press F6" prompt. And it still sometimes takes a couple of tries before I can get the prompt.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, October 13, 2008 10:39 PM