none
Archive files instead of saving in the Recycle Bin RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

im from Germany and my englisch is not so good, but I try to ask for a question as good as I can. Can SyncToy 2.1 archive files in the destination folder, bevor they gonna be overwritten through files in the source folder? For example. The file ABCD.doc in the destination folder will be overwritten, because the content of ABCD.doc in the source folder has been changed. SyncToy changes the name of ABCD.doc in the destination folder in ABCD_2.doc or something like that.

At this time SyncToy 2.1 only saves overwritten files in the recycle bin, I think.

If SyncToy 2.1 cannot archive files, is there a plan, when SyncToy can do this?

Greetings

Alex
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 1:42 PM

All replies

• Thank you Alex for giving this suggestion.
    But may I get more clear of why you need archive files instead of saving in Recycle bin?
    With my opion for now, I think if there are two folders, which you want to sync, when a lot of changes are made, if we have this archive feature, we maybe need to maitain large amount of files with Synctoy.
    On the other side, leave those deleted files in recycle bin has already give user a way to get back files if there is opration mistake.

Thanks,
    Ping
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 7:03 AM
  • Hello Ping and thanks for answering,

the archive funktion would be better in a workgroup. Five computers and in additional one fileserver for example. If user on computer one overwrite an important file and synchronizes then SyncToy moves the original file in the recycle bin on computer one. Then the user deletes all files in the recycle bin, and sees that there is an error in the changed file and needs the original file to get the correct information. Then he calles the administrator for help. But the administrator can't help because there is no archived file. Otherwise the administrator needs a second tool for archiving files, but SyncToy could do that during the synchronization.

Thanks,

Alex
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 1:55 PM
  • Currently Synctoy does not have such archive function. We may consider to add such feature in the future version, but I do not promise.

Think about your problem, maybe your administrator does not need another tool for archiving, just create another folder pairs specially for archive purpose, and sync this folder pairs on shcedule.

Anyway thanks for your suggestion!

Thanks,
    Ping

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by Ping Lu Friday, November 20, 2009 2:03 AM
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 9:04 AM