Client will not back up RRS feed

• Question

• I cannot get one client to back up.  The laptop does but the desktop does not.  Tried reinstalling the connector software on the desktop and all goes fine until it configures the computer.  It says that none of the drives on the client are NTFS.  I check the drives in my computer and all say NTFS.  Tried to configure computer manually and it just sits there.  This happened around the time the server did some updates. A manual backup doesn't work it says backups are not configured for this computer and to right click and turn backups on, Which it already is.  The laptop backs up just fine. The desktop used to work ok and then suddenly quit backing up.  It still can use the console.

Thank you  
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 5:21 AM

Answers

• Did you open a command prompt by right clicking and selecting Run as Administrator and enter the command within that environment?
    Checking the system volume and fixing it with /f or /r always requires a reboot. Running chkdsk without parameters may bring up inconsistencies, thats why you cannot run a corrective disk check while Windows is running (the volume bitmap error).
    If you have a Vista DVD, boot from that and in the system repair section select the command prompt. Run the chkdsk command from there (chkdsk c: /r) - so you ensure the non influence of running OS processes.

Besides that, bad sectors can have bad influence on the capability of the client to create volume shadow copies - which will be the reason for the failing backup.
    Sometimes deleting and recreating the volume was the only method to fix this (given the disk does not continue to go bad).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by tgould88 Wednesday, September 30, 2009 2:48 PM
    Friday, September 18, 2009 8:46 AM
  • There was no option for the repair at boot up.  It just started loading.  The only question it asked was which partition to put it on. 

Martin wrote about the plain Windows XP CD (which might be different for some OEM CDs).
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by tgould88 Monday, October 12, 2009 8:33 PM
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 6:19 AM

All replies

• So it worked once? Have you tried running chkdsk /f on your drives?
    LightsOut - Power Management for Windows Home Server http://www.home-server-blog.de/add-ins/lightsout/#en
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 2:54 PM
  • Martin, Acutally it worked until I added another drive. I am changing it from 2000 to XP. I first put a new drive in and installed everything to it. Then put the old drive in to transfer data. Before the old drive was reinstalled I set up the connector software with no problems. After the old data drive was put in is when the backups quit working. I ran the toolkit and got a version conflict 6.0.2030.2 on the client and 6.0.2030.0 on the server which I cannot seem to resolve and a Dhcp error but I use static IPs and it said to ignore it. Thanks again Tim
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 2:47 AM
  • I also ran chkdsk /f. 
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 3:25 AM
  • The version conflict should not matter.

What is the old drive used for? Can you remove it for a test to see if it makes your main drive to shop up in backupn again?
    Then open WHS console, right click on your client and select configure backup.
    LightsOut - Power Management for Windows Home Server http://www.home-server-blog.de/add-ins/lightsout/#en
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 6:10 AM
  • You can also only remove the drive from backup on the Configure Backup screen without removing it from PC. Or exclude the volume, on which backup failed.
    Olaf
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 9:14 AM
  • Ran chkdsk /f on C:  I removed the old drive (E: F:) to make the setup like it was when it worked.  Uninstalled the connector software and reinstalled. The process went fine until it came to where it configures the computer.  The message about no NTFS drives came up and said click finish to complete.  I then went to configure backup on the console. A screen saying gathering info about the computer came up and sat there.  Eventually it said cannot communicate with computer which is itself.  Tried a manual backup and it stops saying its not configured.  I can transfer files between the server and the client through windows explorer.

The old drive partition  E: has the old 2000 OS on it and the data I keep it handy in case some file wasn't transfered when we switched.  The partition F: stores movies and pictures.  Both not necessary but would like to keep handy.
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 2:59 PM
  • I can't get to the configure backup.  It stalls out
    Tim
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 3:00 PM
  • Have you ever used a third party tool to change/modify the partitions? Has this drive ever been converted from FAT to NTFS?
    Please post the output of chkdsk for your C: drive.
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 3:04 PM
  • I believe I used the Western Digital utility to set up the drive but other than that I know of nothing.  I ran the chkdsk /f last night an then I ran chkdsk today and this is what I got.
    Thank you for your time on this.
    Tim
    C:\Documents and Settings\mary>chkdsk
    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Volume label is XP Drive.

WARNING!  F parameter not specified.
    Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
    File verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
    Index verification completed.
    CHKDSK is recovering lost files.
    CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
    Security descriptor verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    Usn Journal verification completed.
    CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
    master file table (MFT) bitmap.
    Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
    Windows found problems with the file system.
    Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these.

78140128 KB total disk space.
      58181188 KB in 81916 files.
         29312 KB in 6780 indexes.
            40 KB in bad sectors.
        193388 KB in use by the system.
         65536 KB occupied by the log file.
      19736200 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
      19535032 total allocation units on disk.
       4934050 allocation units available on disk.

Thursday, September 17, 2009 7:26 PM
  • This drive has bad sectors and lost files. Please run a

chkdsk /r c:

and restart your system when required.
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 8:00 PM
  • Ran chkdsk /r then ran chkdsk.  Came up with the same errors as before.  Then ran chkdsk /f then chkdsk still same problems.  Is this a bad disk, software, or something that says it is wrong but really isn't
    Friday, September 18, 2009 1:44 AM
  • Did you open a command prompt by right clicking and selecting Run as Administrator and enter the command within that environment?
    Checking the system volume and fixing it with /f or /r always requires a reboot. Running chkdsk without parameters may bring up inconsistencies, thats why you cannot run a corrective disk check while Windows is running (the volume bitmap error).
    If you have a Vista DVD, boot from that and in the system repair section select the command prompt. Run the chkdsk command from there (chkdsk c: /r) - so you ensure the non influence of running OS processes.

Besides that, bad sectors can have bad influence on the capability of the client to create volume shadow copies - which will be the reason for the failing backup.
    Sometimes deleting and recreating the volume was the only method to fix this (given the disk does not continue to go bad).

Olaf
    • Marked as answer by tgould88 Wednesday, September 30, 2009 2:48 PM
    Friday, September 18, 2009 8:46 AM
  • Reloaded XP and it works.  Thank you for the help.  Does anyone know how to do just a repair on XP.  I had to load another complete XP beside the one that was corropt and then reload all of the programs.  

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 2:51 PM
  • For the next time you can try this:
    Boot from your XP CD. Select R to run the repair console. Run a chkdsk from here. Should this not fix the problems, boot a second time from your CD and select install and install over the existing XP found on your disc. This is a repair install and will keep most of your settings and installed programs.
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 3:18 PM
  • There was no option for the repair at boot up.  It just started loading.  The only question it asked was which partition to put it on. 
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 5:14 PM

Martin wrote about the plain Windows XP CD (which might be different for some OEM CDs).
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by tgould88 Monday, October 12, 2009 8:33 PM
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 6:19 AM
  • To wrap it up.  The hard drive is just bad enough mess it all up.  After two windows loads and many chkdsk s that showed some bad sectors but never had errors after it finished.  I installed everything on a spare drive and all has been good for a week know. 

Thank you for your help
    Tim
    Monday, October 12, 2009 8:37 PM