Restore not allowed to smaller hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• I backed up my wife's workstation (230Gb PATA) drive.  It had a 225 Gb system partition (NTFS) and a 5Gb restore partition (FAT32).  Only about 30Gb of the system partition were actually being used.  I then replaced her hard drive with a freshly partitioned 80 Gb PATA drive (75Gb NTFS and 5Gb FAT32).  I thought I could put her drive into the server.

After booting from the Restore CD-ROM, I entered the restore wizard.  However, WHS disabled restoring the system drive to the replacement drive in the system.

The documentation indicates that you can restore your drives to either to the existing drives or a new drive.  Is restoring to a smaller partition disabled even though there will still be plenty of free space?

Stephen

Wednesday, April 4, 2007 6:42 PM

Answers

• Windows Home Server needs to restore to a drive of equal or larger size in order to work.  It also would not be backing up the hidden 5gb FAT partition since it's not NTFS.
    Friday, April 6, 2007 1:40 AM

All replies

• Since WHS works on the "cluster" level, I suspect that it wants to be able to put each cluster back, exactly where it was found on the original drive.
    Thursday, April 5, 2007 2:07 AM
  • I guess that would mean you couldn't restore to a larger drive either.  That kind of reduces the functionality.
    Thursday, April 5, 2007 3:55 AM
  • I encountered this problem the other day as doing a clean install of Vista I partitioned a 300GB disk into 50GB & 250GB partitions then inadvertently installed Vista onto the larger partition. I though that I would try Vista's disk shrink functionality but that would only reduce down to 120GB. So then I decided that I would backup C: to WHS & then reformat & restore to the smaller partition. Can't be done which is a shame.

In the end I booted Acronis Disk Director Suite off CD resized the partitions & then had to do a repair install of Vista to fix up corrupt boot file problem. It probably would have been quicker to start installing Vista all over again rather than try the various tricks.
    Cheers

Nigel
    Thursday, April 5, 2007 2:29 PM
  • I wouldn't assume that.  A larger drive would have "extra" clusters, that WHS knows nothing about.  They would be beyond anything that was already "mapped".  Of course, I could be wrong. Maybe the product team has a definitive answer?
    Thursday, April 5, 2007 10:45 PM
  • Windows Home Server needs to restore to a drive of equal or larger size in order to work.  It also would not be backing up the hidden 5gb FAT partition since it's not NTFS.
    Friday, April 6, 2007 1:40 AM
  • I ran into this problem when trying to migrate everything to a new SSD.  This solution requires a second drive of some sort:
    1) During the restore process, use Disk Manager to make a partition of equal size to the one from which the backup was made.
    2) Restore to this partition.
    3) Once booted to backup on the "wrong" drive, shrink the partition to the same size as your eventual target drive again using Disk Manager.
    4) Backup this new partition.
    5) Restore from this partition using the WHS restore media to the real target drive.

Convoluted, but it worked for me.

Thursday, February 25, 2010 9:37 PM