none
Chain 2 ex470 MSS together? RRS feed

• Question

• Can 2 ex470 hp media smart servers be chained together... for some of the deals I am seeing it would be less expensive to do that rather than add a eSATA port multiplier enclosure to an existing ex470 that is already full.

I was thinking of buying a second ex470 for $299 taking the OS off of the HD and connecting it to the first ex470 via eSATA... Can it be done?
    Any thoughts??

Thanks
    Monday, November 24, 2008 1:28 AM

Answers

• Yes, and I took him to be referring to a SAN or NAS type of use. So the HP units can't be used as an external enclosure either. If the OP needs to attach a number of additional drives, he would probably be well advised to take a look at an external enclosure with a port multiplier, such as this one. The MediaSmart Server's eSATA port will work with some (but probably not all) port multipliers.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by MIlachy Monday, November 24, 2008 5:38 PM
    Monday, November 24, 2008 3:37 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    as far as I know, unfortunately this cannot be done.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, November 24, 2008 8:30 AM
  • SATA is a storage technology, not a networking technology. You won't be able to connect a second server to your first with the eSATA ports.
    Monday, November 24, 2008 12:05 PM
  • Hi Ken,
    I think the OP wanted to attach the second server as a dumb storage extension, so that he can use the disks of the second machine as local disks in the first box. But the result is the same - it is not possible in this way.
    Olaf
    Monday, November 24, 2008 12:49 PM
  • Yes, and I took him to be referring to a SAN or NAS type of use. So the HP units can't be used as an external enclosure either. If the OP needs to attach a number of additional drives, he would probably be well advised to take a look at an external enclosure with a port multiplier, such as this one. The MediaSmart Server's eSATA port will work with some (but probably not all) port multipliers.
    • Marked as answer by MIlachy Monday, November 24, 2008 5:38 PM
    Monday, November 24, 2008 3:37 PM
  • I am confused with using the esata with a device you suggested in your post.  With the MediaSmart server my files (if I elect to do so) are duplicated to seperate drives so if I have a failure in a single drive my data is safe.  When I use a device like the one you recommended does the Mediasmart see that as one big drive (and therefore for file duplication purposes only store a file on the whole array once, or 4 small drives and therefore maybe place a file across two drives in the esata device?
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 12:27 AM
  • Hi,
    since the specifications for port multipliers here do not say anything about needing RAID levels, it seems to allow to control each drive as a single unit.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 9:12 AM
  • A "port multiplier" is one way of multiplexing several drives on a single cable. It's not needed internally as there's plenty of room to install multiple SATA ports on even a small motherboard, and cables are out of the way. It's very convenient for an external multi-bay drive enclosure, however, as otherwise you would need one eSATA cable per drive. The effect of a port multiplier is that the operating system will see 4 drives. 

For the HP MediaSmart Server, the SATA controller that the eSATA port is connected to will apparantly not see more than 4 drives (documented here and there), so you will "waste" one bay in a 5 bay case.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 4:31 PM