windows update RRS feed

• Question

• "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"

The messege above is received when trying to open Windows Update. I use Windows XP with IE8 and SP3. I have two computers, and the other one is fine. Both have adequate file space. Together there connected with a cable modem and router.

This morning, sound wasn't working for any mp3, avi, flv, etc. files, regardless of the player being used. I currently have GOM, VLC, REAL w/SP, WIN-MEDIA. When attempting to play an audio or video file on GOM, I receive the following messege. "This system does not have sound devices, or sound devices does not installed properly" My desktop toolbar has also been affected. It went from blue to light gray, and the font may be a little different. I found info for a "LUNA" fix and it got my desktop back to a blue toolbar at the bottom, however, as soon as I tried to open Windows Update, it reverted back to the gray color. Other websites open fine. Up until now, I've stayed up to date with Windows Updates. I've tried disabling/enabling all the Add-Ons, tried all Compatibity Settings, shutting down Windows Firewall, shutting down Avast Anti-Virus, running Advanced System Care (I downloaded this yesterday), updating my Flash Player, running Glary Utilities, refreshing all pages when it seemed to be necessary, adding all download sites to the 'Trusted Sites' list, Clearing History, making sure 'Mute' is not checked in the Sounds and Audio Devices icon, rebooting the computer numerous times, foul language, uploading Firefox as my new browser, removing Firefox and going back to IE8, removing Windows Audio Codec Essentials, reinstalling Windows Audio Codec Essentials, closing and opening windows pop-up blocker and smart screen filter. Basically, all the stuff I could find related to this situation. My browser page is a little different as well. The toolbar up top is a little different and when adding tabs, it used to show them from left to right at the top of each page. Now, it opens the new tab, but in order to see it, I have to click the Down Arrow icon just right of the forward and backwards arrows in the top left hand side of the browser page. I haven't tried to reinstall any drivers or run the computer in safemode for any reason. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 10:44 PM

Answers

All replies

• Well it would be very useful to boot to safe mode and of course it sounds like a nasty virus is affecting your computer.  I would recommend using a freeware antivirus tool for instance Malwarebytes, Trendmicro, Windows Malicious software removal tool, etc.  The windows malicious software removal tool is of course on this website for free.  Malwarebyes is available for download at http://www.malwarebyes.org and the Trendmicro tool is available for download of course http://housecall.trendmicro.com/index.html.  Of course it's not recommended you run all of these at once but well pick your choice.  Also microsoft has Microsoft security essentials as well for free.  I would recommend to run one or more of these software to test for any viruses.  The reason of course why I would cry virus is because your not able to access windows update, which is quite common for quite a few viruses out there.
    Monday, January 17, 2011 9:22 PM
  •  

Hi,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft forum. This forum focuses on Perfmon and diagnostic tools. I am moving your question to the moderator forum ("Where is the forum for..?"). The owner of the forum will direct you to a right forum.

Thanks.

Bruce Adamczak

Bruce Adamczak
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 4:59 PM
  • Hello,

Thank you for your post!  I would suggest posting your question in one of the (Windows Client TechCenter > Windows XP IT Pro Forums > Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)) forum located here:  (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itproxpsp/threads).

Hope that would be helpful.

Have a great day!

Thanks & regards,

Shivendra Pratap Singh Tier 2 Application Support Server and Tools Online Operations Team
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:48 PM