web site development RRS feed

• Question

• Where should I ask about opening a web site using VS?

I am moving my site to a new hosting service. I am having problems opening the existing empty new site so I can build the new site from the pages in my computer. The question I am sure has been asked and answered many times but I don't know what to search for. If I know what forum to look at I have a good chance of finding a previous answer but there are so many VS and web site forums that I am not sure where to look and I am not sure what keywords to use to search.

Sam Hobbs; see my SimpleSamples.Info
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 5:02 PM

Answers

• Neither IIS nor ASP are languages.

I am sorry I did not look at this sooner. It has been so long that I forgot that this thread was created by me.

In the situation I asked about, I had my Simple Samples web site with HTML files with php extensions in a Linux Apache server. I just wanted to convert that to a Windows IIS site. I wanted to "open" in the manner that Front Page opened web sites. Excuse me if I am wrong, but it is my impression that VS can do it; I just had difficulties finding the relevant documentation. It is the type of thing that is so easy that Microsoft assumes it is obvious, but it is not.

I get the impression that my question seems unclear due to a lack of additional relevant information but if so then the assumption is incorrect.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Sam,

You want IIS. Here:

http://forums.iis.net

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Saturday, August 4, 2012 3:33 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for your post!  I would suggest creating a new thread for your question in the 'Visual Studio Class Designer ' located here:  http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsclassdesigner/threads

Have a great day!

Thanks!

SachinW Tier 2 Application Support Server and Tools Online Operations Team
    Friday, August 27, 2010 1:14 PM
  • Thank you SachinW. I am not sure I explained my question. So I will attempt to clarify but just so that I can ensure I use the most appropriate forum.

In VS I am trying to use "File | New| Web Site" and "File | Open | Web Site". I think I have it working now but I want to make sure. The Class Designer forum seems to me to not be appropriate for that. Am I wrong?

Friday, August 27, 2010 11:19 PM
  • Hi,

I would suggest to use one of the forum at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/visualstudio

SachinW Tier 2 Application Support Server and Tools Online Operations Team
    Monday, August 30, 2010 12:45 PM
  • I was not sure which Visual Studio forum to use so I chose the Visual Studio Editor forum but my post got moved; see Web site project . I hope that forum gets the attention of deleopers that can asnwer the question; I suspect that the VS 2010 beta forums get less attention than the VS forums you suggested. Perhaps Microsoft needs to make a permanent VS Web Development forum. Since most of the Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Release Candidate forums have permanent equivalents, I expect the web development forum to be nearly ignored.

Saturday, September 11, 2010 12:41 AM
  • What technology? For example, there are IIS and ASP dedicated forums.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 1:19 AM
  • What language? For example, there are IIS and ASP dedicated forums.

Neither IIS nor ASP are languages.

I am sorry I did not look at this sooner. It has been so long that I forgot that this thread was created by me.

In the situation I asked about, I had my Simple Samples web site with HTML files with php extensions in a Linux Apache server. I just wanted to convert that to a Windows IIS site. I wanted to "open" in the manner that Front Page opened web sites. Excuse me if I am wrong, but it is my impression that VS can do it; I just had difficulties finding the relevant documentation. It is the type of thing that is so easy that Microsoft assumes it is obvious, but it is not.

I get the impression that my question seems unclear due to a lack of additional relevant information but if so then the assumption is incorrect.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Friday, August 3, 2012 3:04 AM
  • Neither IIS nor ASP are languages.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Sam,

You want IIS. Here:

http://forums.iis.net

Thanks!

Saturday, August 4, 2012 3:33 AM