Warranty, primary drive reported as failing. RRS feed

• Question

•  

Anyone know how the warranty works in Canada? The primary 500gb hard drive that the unit shipped with is being reported as failing already (3 weeks old). I don't want to be without the data or trusting HP no to wipe everything on me. Will they crossship a new hard drive? or do they insist on giving them the entire unit?

Anyone with experience in this?

Currently running the repair utility.

Cheers

Saturday, December 29, 2007 12:26 PM

Answers

• Actually have the answer...

HP does not know how they are going to do this as they have no replacement parts for the MSS. They "think" it would be the same as their other media device where they charge your credit card for the hard drive (when available), and ship you a replacement. Then will credit you card if you send back the old drive.

Sweet....

Saturday, December 29, 2007 12:47 PM

All replies

• Actually have the answer...

HP does not know how they are going to do this as they have no replacement parts for the MSS. They "think" it would be the same as their other media device where they charge your credit card for the hard drive (when available), and ship you a replacement. Then will credit you card if you send back the old drive.

Sweet....

Saturday, December 29, 2007 12:47 PM
  • Be cautious. My primary hard drive has been "failing" since RC2. There may be nothing wrong with your drive at all. The drive has passed all tests I could throw at it. Still diagnosing the problem. Could be drivers, etc.
    Saturday, December 29, 2007 2:03 PM
  • I wish someone would have posted this before I bought my HP paper weight. Heres to hoping they get their head out of the sand and get this warranty issues addressed.

Saturday, December 29, 2007 10:49 PM
  • I have had my HP "paperweight" for about one month and I have had the network show unhealthy twice. Each time it reported that the drive was about to fail. I used the repair-drive utility each time. I found the following events in the event log:

The flush and hold operation for volume D: was aborted because of low available system memory

The time of the events pretty much corresponds to the network reporting unhealthy.

Monday, December 31, 2007 3:09 AM
  • I have had the same on my homebrew unit, two SATA 500Gb Samsung Spinrites and two SATA 500Gb Seagate Barracuda. Seems a bit odd!!! The unit has 1Gb of fast RAM. Is it truly the drive or is there (heaven help me for suggesting this) a bug in the software?

I assume that the "system disk" will always be SATA connector 1 on the motherboard, can anybody confirm this, as, if the drive is truly defective I want to remove it from the system and replace it, but the software only reports that it is one of the seagates.

Any help gratefully accepted

PME 

Monday, December 31, 2007 3:58 PM