WHS Vail: Does it really have a future? RRS feed

• Question

• I may have jumped the gun in my Kudos for this server product. There seem to be a lot of outstanding issues that are being brought to light here and they seem to be ignored by MS. I read question after question on here where people have had to search on their own from other users for what might be an answer, and there don't seem to ever be any answers from the development team.

Most previous beta evaluations that I've been involved with the vendor was also involved in the evaluation forums to give direction and support. That isn't happening here from what I can see and if that reflects what kind of support will be available after retail release, then I guess it is good to know that now.

It would be different if they had supplied complete documentation about the product and we just weren't reading it. That would be our fault. But they haven't even provided that.  I was going to be willing to overlook it after my successes with media streaming and setting up clients, but this morning I noticed that the client backups don't even run reliably. One in particular I started manually and it got to 2 percent so I went off to do something else. When I came back 10 minutes later, it was like I had never started the backup. No backup files existed and there were no messages, alerts, logs, or anything to look at for an answer. I started it again and it seems to be running this time although painfully slow for two computers hardwired to the same router with 100mb.

There is no way to adjust priority or the backup and who knows, it may just stop working this time again and never tell me until I look.

I won't expect an answer to any of these things, because obviously MS isn't watching this forum. I would like to hear from others what my other options are for a server product, cause this one isn't going to let me sleep at night.

Old Guy
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 4:55 PM

All replies

• Hey redhawk56,

If you are having problems with client backups, I suggest filing a connect bug, including logs, so that our backup developers can investigate.

The feedback form is linked below:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/CreateFeedbackForm.aspx?FeedbackFormConfigurationID=4229&FeedbackType=1

Also, if you have suggestions for what documentation is missing a separate bug would be welcome by our documentation team.

Thanks

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights. Jonas Svensson [MSFT] Windows Home Server Community Program Manager
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 5:35 PM
  • OK now I'm just a little P.O.'d.

You answer this question in a flash, but you can't bother to answer the other ones that have been open for weeks?

That is just CRAP! But it really doesn't surprise me at all.

Old Guy
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 5:45 PM
  • Hi,
    The best way to get technical problems solved is to report them directly to MS through Connect as Jonas suggested.
    This will enable the development team to look into the technical details to find the origine of the problem. It may even result in a suggestion or fix that might resolve the problem.

If you have any problems with this (RC/beta) version of WHS 2011, please feel free to post them in this forum? There are a lot of WHS users (including betatesters and members of the MS team) that are happy to spend there personal time and knowledge to help you out when they can.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Monday, March 14, 2011 10:07 PM
  • Redhawk 56,

Not sure why you are having backup issue's. My experience has been that the server and client backup's have been very solid. Other people have been having issue's with the client backup databases corrupting. Maybe I have been fortunate but while I have reservations as to the process, within it's limitations it has been fine. But to help resolve the problems you are seeing is going to need you to submit your bug with logs to the connect site. Crystal balls only work in the Hollywood :)

Reporting your issue's with logs can only help the product get better.  If you are not willing to spend a few minutes of your time to submit them, there is a pretty fair chance that the opportunity to squash another bug is gone. It is certainly going to rear it's head again in the future and bite someone else.

Getting on Jonas's case is not geing to help anyone.

As Theo said above, most people here are using their own personal time to try and help other users of WHS as best they are able. As far as I know, no one is in paid employment and earning a living browsing this forum.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:09 AM