HP Slimlines RRS feed

• Question

• Was wondering if any of the current HP Slimline models, like the S3300f would work well with an installation of WHS ?

Knowing that WHS is based off of 2003 Server, experience reminds me that 2003 Server liked xp drivers for motherboard, HD controller, etc. during setup (if they were not in the included driver database). Most of these newer computers only have Vista drivers when looking at HP's website. One of the last full blown media centers I setup as a Server, left me searching long and hard to find the xp drivers to get the install to succeed.

The reason I like using the HP media centers and slimlines, is cuz Pocket Media drives or the Personal Media drives, and using them to back up the entire main drive with Acronis software and take these drives off-site, just in case server drive fail (not RAID environment) or the building housing the server goes up in flames Wink

Anyone tried the Slimlines with WHS ?

-Andersonz

Thursday, March 20, 2008 6:41 AM

Answers

• Went and got this machine andd figured if it didn't work, I could use it somewhere. Got a good deal on it ($519).

WHS installed without a hitch, went to the NVidia web site ( http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_winxp32_8.26_11.09.html) and downloaded the WHQL driver package for nForce 430, nForce 410, nForce 405, and nForce 400 motherboards, for drivers that were needed after the install.

I've got WHS running smoothly and have the pocket media drive for off-site backups of the WHS machine. I'm happy Wink  When I purchased the s3300f, I saw the HP Home Server EX470, I knew people said it looked sweet, but wow! What a kewl looking little machine. If HP would put a pocket media drive in that, I would have gotten it.

-Andersonz

Friday, March 21, 2008 3:24 PM