New Hard Drive RRS feed

• Question

• I installed a new 7650GB (recycled) into my WHS in order to copy about 500GB to my WHS however it doesn't appear that the new HD is available yet? I have added the drive to the WHS via the wizard but I cannot seem to be able to copy the new 500GB into the shared folders?

I read a bit on drive balancing, verdict appeared that the balancing has nothing to do to this. What needs to happen before this space is available?

Friday, March 19, 2010 2:14 AM

All replies

• Nothing other than adding the drive to the storage pool should need to happen. Did you add the drive to the storage pool or as a backup drive?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, March 19, 2010 3:25 AM
  • Yes when I look at the Disk Management Tab, it shows there as Healthy and cvompletely empty.

WHen I try and copy the 500GB to the WHS shared fodler it pops up an error that "38GB" of space is still needed?

Friday, March 19, 2010 10:04 AM
  • You didn't quite answer Ken's question - did you add the drive as Storage Pool Drive or Backup Drive?  Look under Server Storage please and tell us the numbers below the pie chart.

Thanks,

Al

--
    Friday, March 19, 2010 10:52 AM
  • How are you copying the data? And what are the version numbers shown in the console, settings tab, resources view for the Windows Home Server components?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, March 19, 2010 11:32 AM
  • Ken and Al,

The storage pool shows 4 disks, this is correct. 2.34TB capacity, 928.1 GB available. This is 750GB more than I had before. It's Power Pack 3, then versions 6.0XXXXX.

I am copying data from a windows 7 machine using Windows Explorer into the shared drives of my WHS (music, videos)

Friday, March 19, 2010 10:20 PM
  • Anyone have any ideas?
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 11:18 AM
  • Anyone have any ideas?
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 11:18 AM
  • I don't understand your problem.  You added a drive and you saw the available space increase by the amount you had. 

If the storage pool show 4 disks and before you added the drive you had 3 then the drive is added and available.  Are you expecting some extra drive letter or folder share to appear?  If so Windows Home Server doesn't work like that - the drive is added to a pool and all data shares are shared among that pool.

Might be an idea to take a look at this FAQ to see if you did it right:
    http://usingwindowshomeserver.com/2009/04/18/adding-a-drive-to-your-windows-home-server/

Also there is s tech brief on how drive extender works which is handy info to know:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=40c6c9cc-b85f-45fe-8c5c-f103c894a5e2&DisplayLang=en

Cheers,
    Al

--
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 12:05 PM
  • I think I figured it out! I have been usiong Teracopy for a long time now, I disabled it and it seems to be working. 

But have another question? What's the best/supported way to take 500GB from an external drive and move it to my shares? I read that you never really want to copy directly to the D drive? Must I copy it all through another drive into the shares?

Saturday, March 20, 2010 2:34 PM
  • Again what is the problem?  You have 900+GB go you can add more data to your system by accessing \\server\sharename  from your connected client pcs.
    --
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 2:42 PM
  • Al,

As I stated I had added the hard drive correctly, I had about 900GB available and could not copy 500GB via another Windows 7 machine into the shares. Not sure what your asking, I thought my description of the problem was clear. Last message I explained I figured it out. For some reason the Teracopy client DOES NOT calculate the avaialable storage space when copying from my Windows 7 to the Shares files on my WHS. I turned off Teracopy and used normal windows copy features and to works fine.

A follow up question: Can I connect my external hard drive directly to my WHS and then copy the 500GB in any supported way? Or as you've stated must I go through the my Windows 7 machine to copy

Thanks.

• Proposed as answer by Al West Saturday, March 20, 2010 2:59 PM
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 2:52 PM
  • Ah okay - bit slow on the uptake :-)  I think terracopy maybe does it's own free disk space calculation before copying - because your system drive is only 320GB explorer (and mapped netowrk drives) will report X in use of 320GB - it won't factor in the true free space on the server.

As for copying the data to the server the best and supported way is just to copy it over the network.  If you want to go down the unsupported route then you can add your drive as a backup drive (ensure you select preserve data) and then in Advaned Admin console copy from e:\ to \\localhost\sharename  - make sure you use the \\localhost part and don't be tempted to drop them into directories in D:\

Hope that gets you sorted.

Al

--
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 2:58 PM
  • Yes and thanks I have the files copying from my Windows 7 machine to my WHS. Looks like its going to take all day! Embarrasing as I don't have a Gigabyte switch and I am going from an external hard drive > Windows 7 Machine > WHS its looking like its going to take about 6 hours. :(

But its nice out, so I'll let it do its thing!

Saturday, March 20, 2010 5:54 PM