none
Windowa Vista home Basic OEMA ct RRS feed

• Question

• I recently bought a compaq laptop from abroad and the Italian language was installed and till now I can't find how to change the language. Another thing is that when I enter the product key, it always says that it is incorrect. I have not coonected my laptop to the internet yet. Thanks
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 3:49 PM

Answers

• Hello Priscilla,

Vista Ultimate is the only Vista where the user can change the system's default language.

When Vista comes pre-installed in a computer built by a large computer manufacturer (such as Compaq), the computer comes with 2 Vista product keys.

A)   OEM SLP: This key comes pre-installed in Vista, when it comes from the Factory. This key is geared to work with the special instructions found only on that Manufacturer's computer hardware. So when Vista was installed using the OEM SLP key (at the factory) Vista looks at the motherboard and sees the special instructions and Self-Activates. (that's why you did not need to Activate your computer after you brought it home)

B)    COA SLP: This is the Product key that you see on the sticker on the side (or bottom) of your computer. It is a valid product key, but should only be used in limited situations. The key must be activated by Phone. (Note: All manufacturers that use the OEM SLP system are required by contract to include a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) sticker, that has a COA SLP key, on the computer)

Given the above information, Vista should have been self-activated from the factory. So why are you entering a product key into Vista? Is Vista asking for a product key?

Thank you,
    Darin MS

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please vote the post as Helpful. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    Monday, May 4, 2009 6:59 PM