How to upgrade my WHS system drive without losing any data on the storage pool drives? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I need to upgrade my system hard drive but don't want to loose any data from the storage pool drives.  I'm curious what is the best process in doing this the WHS way. 

Here are the steps that i'm assuming you would do:

turn off your computer

take the system drive out

replace it with the new drive

keep the storage pool drives connected to the motherboard

insert DVD and boot to DVD drive

select reinstallation

recreate all shares exactly as they were

recreate all users exactly as they were

reinstall the connection software on all computers

let WHS do it's magic to make all the links work again

Are these steps correct?

Any info is helpfull.

Thanks,
    Chuck

Saturday, March 8, 2008 4:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If you have just one drive and want to image (ghost, replicate) it to another drive  I would use a piece of software called Ghost or Acronis True Image. You can download a 15 day trial of Acronis True Image which will do exactly that. Copy the contents of your old drive onto your new drive and it will be like nothing has changed!

Hope that helps.

Saturday, March 8, 2008 12:18 PM
  • DavyJ,

Thanks for the input.  I know that that is an option, but I want to understand how to do this process just in case my system drive ever fails and I have to do it this way.  Since I am doing this on my own terms, I thought this would be the best time to try it.

Thanks,
    Chuck

DavyJ wrote:

Hi,

If you have just one drive and want to image (ghost, replicate) it to another drive  I would use a piece of software called Ghost or Acronis True Image. You can download a 15 day trial of Acronis True Image which will do exactly that. Copy the contents of your old drive onto your new drive and it will be like nothing has changed!

Hope that helps.

Saturday, March 8, 2008 12:29 PM
  •  crarbo1 wrote:

DavyJ,

Thanks for the input.  I know that that is an option, but I want to understand how to do this process just in case my system drive ever fails and I have to do it this way.  Since I am doing this on my own terms, I thought this would be the best time to try it.

Thanks,
    Chuck

I am interested in same area. I recomend that you read these posts first ...They explain a lot about what is saved when replacing a Sys drive ... and how to do it.

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PageIndex=1&SiteID=50&PageID=1&PostID=2400123

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1258811&SiteID=50

I intend to post another question to get someone to expand on the whether the backups are maintained after a reinstallation.

Saturday, March 8, 2008 5:04 PM
  • Thanks for the links.  The second one basically is describing what I had put down originally.  I wasn's sure if I take the system drive out first or when I do the reinstall.  I guess that link confirmed it should be done first.

Thanks,

Chuck

dszigeti wrote:

crarbo1 wrote:

DavyJ,

Thanks,
    Chuck

I am interested in same area. I recomend that you read these posts first ...They explain a lot about what is saved when replacing a Sys drive ... and how to do it.

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PageIndex=1&SiteID=50&PageID=1&PostID=2400123

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1258811&SiteID=50

I intend to post another question to get someone to expand on the whether the backups are maintained after a reinstallation.

Saturday, March 8, 2008 11:38 PM