Deployment(Hub_Spoke) RRS feed

• Question

• I just started reading few articles about MSF.

Do i need to install Microsoft Sync Framework on each client ?

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Thursday, April 21, 2011 9:43 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Technical Discussion [ReadOnly])
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 1:03 PM

Answers

•  

Hello,

So, the idea is, MSF (more specifically, Sync Services for ADO.Net) needs to be installed on the machine that will run

the Sync application.

The Sync application is the one that requires the MSF framework and connections to the peers' data (i.e. SQL Server).

Thus, the location of the application dictates the place at which MSF needs to be installed, and this application can be within / outside peer machine depending on the application developer's design.

For more information, take a look at the article that I linked to above.

Hope this helps,

Patrick 

Friday, September 19, 2008 9:05 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I assume you are talking about OCS v1, which is part of Sync Services for ADO.Net.

This deployment option depends on whether your Sync application will be Two-Tier / N-Tier modeled.

For Two-Tier:

In order to run OCS v1 / HubSpoke, user needs to install Sync Services for ADO.Net onto the machine that will run the main application.

Within the application, in order to synchronize between the clients and the server, there should be live connections to the client data. In other words, the hosting sync application needs accessibility to the SQL Server Compact 3.5 Service Pack 1 (SP1) files. 

For N-Tier (via web service):

For N-Tier deployment, Sync Services for ADO.Net needs to be also installed on the machine that will host the web service that communicates with the sync application via proxy.

For more information, please take a look at the following article:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb726025.aspx

Hope this helps,

Patrick

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 4:07 PM
  • Thanks patric,

if in case i need to work on P2P  does all peers need to have MSF ?

Thanks ..

Friday, September 19, 2008 11:34 AM
  •  

Hello,

So, the idea is, MSF (more specifically, Sync Services for ADO.Net) needs to be installed on the machine that will run

the Sync application.

The Sync application is the one that requires the MSF framework and connections to the peers' data (i.e. SQL Server).

Thus, the location of the application dictates the place at which MSF needs to be installed, and this application can be within / outside peer machine depending on the application developer's design.

For more information, take a look at the article that I linked to above.

Hope this helps,

Patrick 

Friday, September 19, 2008 9:05 PM