Cannot activate OnCare!! RRS feed

• Question

• I just purchased OneCare at BestBuy.  I cannot activate it because the system will not accept my activation code (25 char.)

Yes, I'm entering it correctly.

HELP!!

Monday, March 31, 2008 7:13 PM

Answers

• Hello, Carol. If you are getting an error about the key being invalid, you are mistaking at least one character or you have a misprinted key. The latter is very rare, though it can happen.

I hate the font that they use for the key - some characters are miserable to discern. J and I look all too much alike, as do O and 0.

I recommend that you use a magnifying glass to check the characters closely - I find that I need to do this. If you are still encountering a problem with activation, you have about 2 weeks to get activated, so I'd go ahead and open an email request to support, explaining the problem. See the FAQ and use the Trial user option to start the email request. If you can provide a digital image - scan or photo - of the key to the tech that responds, they can validate the key for you.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, March 31, 2008 7:25 PM

All replies

• Hello, Carol. If you are getting an error about the key being invalid, you are mistaking at least one character or you have a misprinted key. The latter is very rare, though it can happen.

I hate the font that they use for the key - some characters are miserable to discern. J and I look all too much alike, as do O and 0.

I recommend that you use a magnifying glass to check the characters closely - I find that I need to do this. If you are still encountering a problem with activation, you have about 2 weeks to get activated, so I'd go ahead and open an email request to support, explaining the problem. See the FAQ and use the Trial user option to start the email request. If you can provide a digital image - scan or photo - of the key to the tech that responds, they can validate the key for you.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, March 31, 2008 7:25 PM
  • I keep getting e-mail or password is bad  but I know that not the case it work fine on my old computer before it die on me the old one was xp but the new one is vista.

Monday, March 31, 2008 8:25 PM
  •  Michael E Howton wrote:

I keep getting e-mail or password is bad  but I know that not the case it work fine on my old computer before it die on me the old one was xp but the new one is vista.

Are you getting this when trying to activate OneCare? Are you pasting the password in? Can you log in at http://account.live.com with that LiveID and password?

-steve

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 1:25 AM
  • I just spent the last 3 hours trying to renew with a retail key.  Stephen's post solved the issue.  I talked with 6 different customer support representatives on the phone.  I started to get frustrated that they wouldn't just give me a new key.  The case ended up being elevated and I'm supposed to receive a call in a few business days from the "head" office.

I stumbled across this forum and saw the info about the i and j.  I was using an i.  It was actually a j but the lower end was on top of one of the bar codes.  I had tried a number 1 and an L, but didn't think about trying a j until I saw the post.

Wow was that a lot of frustration for nothing.  They should have a new set of keys ready if the key fails.  This information should be sent to all live one care support reps.  It wasted so much time.  The whole automatic renew process is awful.  I don't like that you can't stop if from automatically renewing without cancelling.

Friday, April 11, 2008 5:15 AM
  • I also lost 10 days of service since the service had been cancelled during one of the phone support issues, and now it shows a year from today as the renew.
    Friday, April 11, 2008 5:18 AM
  • I'm glad that the post was helpful. Actually, the "i" and "j" issue was passed on to me by someone from the support area as a common issue. I guess that there are many support techs and lots of information for them to know and deal with, so there are some who won't know little details like this.

Technically, you should not need to cancel the subscription to renew with a key, you just need to renew with the key in advance of being charged for the auto-renewal.

-steve

Friday, April 11, 2008 11:18 AM