file Vs Folder uploading RRS feed

• Question

• I am new at this.  so please bear with me.  My friend and I are setting up a WHS.  The server is on her end In               (N. Carolina)  I on the other hand am in VA.  The problem that we are having is can upload a whole folder or album, while I can only upload 1 song at a time.  In other words when I click on upload the dialog only lets me up load a file and not a folder

Friday, January 4, 2008 1:52 AM

Answers

• You could always try zipping or raring the folder then uploading..  Uncompressing after..
    Friday, January 4, 2008 6:26 AM

All replies

• Unfortunately this is not a limitation of WHS per se as it is the technology it is forced to use... standard web browsers whose upload functionality only does individual files and is a log existing problem with most web applications and browsers. For a bit of reading (or griping) on this (in general), take a look at this post from Jeff Atwood over at Coding Horror.

An alternative to this is my add-in Web Folders which enables WebDav over HTTPS to give you remote drag and drop functionality to access your WHS shares... which includes the ability to drag a files as well as folders to/from your server.

Friday, January 4, 2008 2:58 AM
  • You could always try zipping or raring the folder then uploading..  Uncompressing after..
    Friday, January 4, 2008 6:26 AM
  • Hi,

You could always try this Add-In, it's an automatic unzipper. To quote:

"It allows you to automatically uncompress a ZIP or RAR archive in your Shared Folders on your server.

This is very useful if you want to upload a list of files (e.g. holiday-photos) through the Web-Interface. 

Up to now you had to select each file and add it to the upload queue.

But with this addin you can make an archive out of the files, upload it to the server, and it will get uncompressed!"

I haven't used it myself, but the writer is available.

HTH,

Colin

Friday, January 4, 2008 5:55 PM
  • How do we 'zip' the folder?

Friday, February 22, 2008 3:41 PM