There are two columns in Microsoft Dynamics CRM with the same display name. RRS feed

• Question

• My Error: There are two columns in Microsoft Dynamics CRM with the same display name. Change the display name for one of the columns in Microsoft Dynamics CRM before importing

I read somebody elses post with this to check:

The form for your entity will open up. The text next to each field is the display name on the form for each field. Check across all tabs that there are no duplicates display names. To change the display name for a field double-click it. A new window called Field Properties will appear. In that form you can change the display name in the Label box.

However I don't see any duplicate display names in that form. Is it possible that I have to check every form in CRM to make sure there isn't a duplicate display name somewhere?

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 1:39 PM

Answers

• Once you move through the Import screens is CRM generating an Automatic data map or are you creating your data map? If its Automatic you will have a hyperlink that will allow you to view what fields are being ignored. Try removing the website field, see what you get? I would also do this with a few records that way if you need to delete them you can easily.

Another trick I have done several times is to create a new view, usually with Advanced find that has ALL of the fields. Then export the views contents to MS Excel. Now highlight the entire header row so you have every field. Open a new MS Excel worksheet, then Right Click > Past Special as Text and Transpose so you have every field header in one column. Finally sort the column to easily see if you have any duplicates. You can do the same thing for the data fields your attepting to import. Also make note of ANY hidden columns in excel. For example you may have "Account ID" as a hidden column A:1, and have your own "Account ID" as a custom field.

Anytime I have had this issue no matter how frustrated it became there was a duplicate column header somewhere, I am almost 100% certain that the matching happens with the attribute names not the "form field names" so focus on your attribute names in CRM (you can sort the column by name to make it easier) or the data your attempting to import.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 6:40 PM

All replies

• A. Check the file that your importing, if there are duplucate names in the file your importing the applicaiton will not know where you want to import the data.

AND

B. In the application itself you will not be able to import the data and will receive this error message. Not only the forms but the attributes themselves.

As far as other forms with the same name this isn't an issue. For example every entity be default has an owner attribute. I always try not to update the form titles as a best practice however check your that the  attributes do not have similar names. It's generally easier to update the attributte names themselves which automatically updates the form titles.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 2:38 PM
  • I don't really see any duplicates anywhere.  I did notice on the data I want to import there is a column for webiste but the form does not have a website field. Would this cause a problem? 
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 3:19 PM
  • Once you move through the Import screens is CRM generating an Automatic data map or are you creating your data map? If its Automatic you will have a hyperlink that will allow you to view what fields are being ignored. Try removing the website field, see what you get? I would also do this with a few records that way if you need to delete them you can easily.

Another trick I have done several times is to create a new view, usually with Advanced find that has ALL of the fields. Then export the views contents to MS Excel. Now highlight the entire header row so you have every field. Open a new MS Excel worksheet, then Right Click > Past Special as Text and Transpose so you have every field header in one column. Finally sort the column to easily see if you have any duplicates. You can do the same thing for the data fields your attepting to import. Also make note of ANY hidden columns in excel. For example you may have "Account ID" as a hidden column A:1, and have your own "Account ID" as a custom field.

Anytime I have had this issue no matter how frustrated it became there was a duplicate column header somewhere, I am almost 100% certain that the matching happens with the attribute names not the "form field names" so focus on your attribute names in CRM (you can sort the column by name to make it easier) or the data your attempting to import.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 6:40 PM
  • I've got exactly the same issue importing to opportunities. My issue is that I have two system fields (not deletable/renameable) "timezoneruleversionnumber" and "utcconversiontimezonecode" with blank display names that seem to be the only remaining duplicates. Do you have any advice?

Thursday, December 20, 2012 11:50 AM