WHS stuck in reboot cycle RRS feed

• Question

• I got home from work this evening to find my WHS stuck in a reboot cycle. It boots, loads, gets to the ctrl+alt+delete prompt and after about 10 seconds, sponteously reboots. There is no way to interrupt the process, as there isn't enough time from trying to login to get to the desktop, and remote desktop fails to connect - probably because it's rebooting mid-connection. So I can't get to any logs or anything to try and troubleshoot.

My desktop machine was downloading some updates last night, so I wonder if WHS also download some and needed to reboot - in which case it's presumably been doing this all day.

This happened first time just over a month ago, but that time I put it down to an add-in that I installed but I haven't included that one this time, and did reboot after last install just to be sure all was well.

With the backup disaster earlier in the month, I'm now feeling quite unconfident about WHS - which is not good for a backup solution; although I appreciate it's probably something in the hardware, there are no indicators. FWIW, the SMART indicators report the three drives as healthy in the boot cycle, and so did WHS last time I looked (a couple of days ago). This is a well-established home-built system which has been ticking along fine since beta days.

Any helpful suggestions appreciated.
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 3:39 AM

Answers

• Crash2975 said:

I got home from work this evening to find my WHS stuck in a reboot cycle. It boots, loads, gets to the ctrl+alt+delete prompt and after about 10 seconds, sponteously reboots. There is no way to interrupt the process, as there isn't enough time from trying to login to get to the desktop, and remote desktop fails to connect - probably because it's rebooting mid-connection. So I can't get to any logs or anything to try and troubleshoot.

My desktop machine was downloading some updates last night, so I wonder if WHS also download some and needed to reboot - in which case it's presumably been doing this all day.

This happened first time just over a month ago, but that time I put it down to an add-in that I installed but I haven't included that one this time, and did reboot after last install just to be sure all was well.

With the backup disaster earlier in the month, I'm now feeling quite unconfident about WHS - which is not good for a backup solution; although I appreciate it's probably something in the hardware, there are no indicators. FWIW, the SMART indicators report the three drives as healthy in the boot cycle, and so did WHS last time I looked (a couple of days ago). This is a well-established home-built system which has been ticking along fine since beta days.

While I agree it probably is a hardware issue, have you tried Last Known Good Configuration/Safe Mode?
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 3:58 AM

All replies

• Crash2975 said:

I got home from work this evening to find my WHS stuck in a reboot cycle. It boots, loads, gets to the ctrl+alt+delete prompt and after about 10 seconds, sponteously reboots. There is no way to interrupt the process, as there isn't enough time from trying to login to get to the desktop, and remote desktop fails to connect - probably because it's rebooting mid-connection. So I can't get to any logs or anything to try and troubleshoot.

While I agree it probably is a hardware issue, have you tried Last Known Good Configuration/Safe Mode?
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 3:58 AM
  • Thanks, Kariya. I did so today and Last Known Good let me in - hoorah! There was a queued error report for the backup from a couple of days ago, but that was all.

From the logs, the reboot after the installation of Windows Updates was the trigger for things going awry - it was rebooting every 1min 8secs for hours....

Having regained "last known good" I'm not sure of the status of those updates, but hopefully a manual visit to the WinUpdate website will let me know.

All hardware reporting OK and CHKDSK was clear on all drives. Fingers crossed!

Cheers!
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 4:59 PM
  • Last known good configuration usually only works, if something has been messed up in the registry (i.e. loading a wrong driver, service or program), which was not there during the successfull boot before.
    Windows saves the state of several keys after successfull boot and if you select the last known good configuration, just these keys will be reverted. As long as OS files are not involved, this can help to regain a booting system as you got.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 5:39 PM
  • Thanks for the additional input, Olaf. 
    Monday, December 15, 2008 3:25 PM