MSN not updating some stocks/funds RRS feed

• Question

• MSN quotes has not been providing data for some weeks now for certain funds and securities.

This means Gaier moneyquotes.exe is not able to update MS Money (sunset).

Anyone able to advise if this is temporary or will MSN become less useful if it cannot provide quote data?

Monday, October 8, 2018 6:52 PM

All replies

• Missing quotes is a continuing problem with the MSN web site and the Money app.  The response from Microsoft is to use the Money app's feedback function to report issues.  See:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/newmsn/forum/newmsn_browse-newmsn_browseart-newmsn_appaq_money/msn-money-is-not-updating-mutual-fund-prices-on-my/96d08c23-372e-49f6-8e8a-965d8e96c376?messageId=f1dd830a-1b3a-42e0-ac93-0bef5c001259

And good luck with getting any kind of informative response.

Bill Becker

Tuesday, October 9, 2018 10:07 PM
  • Just out of interest, can you give some examples of the quotes that aren't working?

Thanks.

Regards, Jonathan.

Thursday, October 11, 2018 7:52 PM
  • I've just uploaded a build for hleofxquotes that could "indirectly" help by allowing you to get prices from Yahoo and/or ft.com and use a 'plugin' feature to

• convert the result from hleofxquotes to the format that 
    • Gaier moneyquotes.exe can then import

https://bitbucket.org/hleofxquotesteam/hleofxquotes/wiki/Build_20181011_227

Essentially, this build has the following new feature. Once the quotes are complete

• save the quote results to a CSV file
    • then run a script

Someone will have to write the script to convert the format (won't be that hard: just moving the column values around, change date format then call Gaier moneyquotes.exe with appropriate arguments)

Thursday, October 11, 2018 11:53 PM
  • MSN quotes has not been providing data for some weeks now for certain funds and securities.

Do you use the -v parameter in moneyquotes?  Are you getting an "invalid quote data" error for these securities or are quotes just not current?  Some more detail on what you are seeing would be helpful.
    Friday, October 12, 2018 7:46 AM
  • You can give the current release of my quote updater msmquote a try if you're still having problems with quotes sourced from MSN. It uses Yahoo as a quote source and updates your Money file directly without the need for intermediate files or scripts.

The current release is 1.0.1-beta and includes fixes for the handling of mutual fund quote data. Further details of how to install and run can be found here on GitHub.

Regards, Jonathan.

Friday, October 12, 2018 8:32 AM
  • I only hold one fund that is not updating, and that is Hargreaves Lansdown Multi-Manager European Acc. Coded GB00BSD99K23. This has returned "Invalid quote data" in MSMoneyquotes since 7th August.  I have sent feedback about this in MSNMoney three times now without result. The data is available on Morningstar, and since it is only the one fund, I have been updating it manually from this source - just a minor annoyance I suppose.
    Thursday, October 18, 2018 2:44 PM
  • Unfortunately, Yahoo also has no data for my problem fund HL Multi-Manager European Acc. coded GB00BSD99K23.
    Thursday, October 18, 2018 3:23 PM
  • Hi soory, I havnt logged on for some time to this forum

Yes I use -v parameter and an example of the error is:

GB00BNB74C03 -> Invalid quote data
    GB00B0CNGX10 -> Invalid quote data

Saturday, November 24, 2018 1:42 PM
  • Interestingly, MSN Money recognizes those securities and returns a change %, but also returns a price of 0.00.  That's why Gaier moneyquotes.exe gives the error.  It's definitely a MSN Money issue.  As I noted above, - 

Missing quotes is a continuing problem with the MSN web site and the Money app.  The response from Microsoft is to use the Money app's feedback function to report issues.  See:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/newmsn/forum/newmsn_browse-newmsn_browseart-newmsn_appaq_money/msn-money-is-not-updating-mutual-fund-prices-on-my/96d08c23-372e-49f6-8e8a-965d8e96c376?messageId=f1dd830a-1b3a-42e0-ac93-0bef5c001259

And good luck with getting any kind of informative response.

Bill Becker

Saturday, November 24, 2018 3:54 PM