none
Any issues with WHS and a Windows 7 PC? RRS feed

• Question

• Specifically "Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Edition". 

I'm looking at picking up an Acer Revo 3610 but not sure how the new OS will impact/get along with WHS?  I did some searching through the forums and didn't find anything "recent".  Found some posts on early test versions etc.  Sounds like there is (was?) an issue installing the connector software on a W7 machine?

Can anyone point me to where I can read up on this and/or share any knowledge you have. 

Much thanks!

Friday, March 12, 2010 7:03 PM

Answers

• The largest issue is likely to be that many users have a problem where, on shutdown of the Windows 7 client, Windows 7 reports to Windows Home Server that antivirus protection and/or firewall protection are absent (because they're shut down before the connector). There's really nothing to be done about this but complain to the AV vendor and/or the Windows 7 product group; Windows Home Server just reports what it's told by the operating system...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Puulima Friday, March 12, 2010 9:51 PM
    Friday, March 12, 2010 7:08 PM
  • Puulima -

I've been using Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit at home for 5+ months now with WHS.  It has worked very well for me and I can't recall seeing the issue that Ken speaks of...though it is my primary computer, so I wonder if when it's shut down I see the error on other computers but I just haven't noticed because I'm not on them very often.  I'll try to remember to check on this tonight when I get home.  Though, Ken does say "many users" not all.  Maybe I've just been lucky.

But, overall, I've been very satisfied with the integration of WHS and Windows 7.
    Friday, March 12, 2010 8:41 PM

All replies

• The largest issue is likely to be that many users have a problem where, on shutdown of the Windows 7 client, Windows 7 reports to Windows Home Server that antivirus protection and/or firewall protection are absent (because they're shut down before the connector). There's really nothing to be done about this but complain to the AV vendor and/or the Windows 7 product group; Windows Home Server just reports what it's told by the operating system...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, March 12, 2010 7:08 PM
  • Puulima -

I've been using Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit at home for 5+ months now with WHS.  It has worked very well for me and I can't recall seeing the issue that Ken speaks of...though it is my primary computer, so I wonder if when it's shut down I see the error on other computers but I just haven't noticed because I'm not on them very often.  I'll try to remember to check on this tonight when I get home.  Though, Ken does say "many users" not all.  Maybe I've just been lucky.

But, overall, I've been very satisfied with the integration of WHS and Windows 7.
    Friday, March 12, 2010 8:41 PM
  • Thanks Ken (and Z-Ice)

I have that same issue with my Vista laptop...when starting it up and shutting down.  So I guess the connector starts before the A/V too?  I read that 7 was built on Vista so guess that makes sense (in a Windows sort of world).

But sounds like I s/b good to go then with the new PC.  Thanks again.
    Friday, March 12, 2010 9:51 PM
  • I run a Windows Home Server with a Revo 3610 running Windows 7 32-bit.  Sometimes it gives a warning on bootup that there is no A/V Installed - I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials on the Revo.  Other than that it runs perfectly.
    --
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 1:30 AM