Backing up old data but keeping it totally separate from new data RRS feed

• Question

• First, I am a complete neophite at this stuff (never installed or used a server) and should probably be hiring a professional but I want to learn and give it a go.

I just bought 3 new desktops and the HP ex495 server which runs WHS to replace 3 aging and ready to die desktops at our small retail business.  The existing desktops are networked with one being utilized as a server.  The company who did this 5 years ago is long gone.  I want to back up all of our existing accounting and point of sale software and data to the new sever but in a way that the data can never intermingle with a fresh install of the software.  The reason for this is that there are over 1000 part numbers that are now obsolete and will never be used again but if we delete the part number from our system now it drops the part from the historical data and therefore the record is then inaccurate.  We do however want to preserve the historical data so that it can be accessed later if a customer, the taxman, or some other interested party asks for it.

Is it possible/recommended to partition off a portion of the servers HDD to save and recover the historical data from, leaving it entirely separate from the new install and future data?

Is it possible to back up in such a partition on the server from our old desktops and then just plug in the new destops and start fresh on the remaining portion of the server HDD.

Am I in over my head? (I probably can answer that myself)

Any help appreciated !!!

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 12:32 AM

Answers

• First, I am a complete neophite at this stuff (never installed or used a server) and should probably be hiring a professional but I want to learn and give it a go.

I just bought 3 new desktops and the HP ex495 server which runs WHS to replace 3 aging and ready to die desktops at our small retail business.  The existing desktops are networked with one being utilized as a server.  The company who did this 5 years ago is long gone.  I want to back up all of our existing accounting and point of sale software and data to the new sever but in a way that the data can never intermingle with a fresh install of the software.  The reason for this is that there are over 1000 part numbers that are now obsolete and will never be used again but if we delete the part number from our system now it drops the part from the historical data and therefore the record is then inaccurate.  We do however want to preserve the historical data so that it can be accessed later if a customer, the taxman, or some other interested party asks for it.

Is it possible/recommended to partition off a portion of the servers HDD to save and recover the historical data from, leaving it entirely separate from the new install and future data?

There is no supported way to do that.  In addition, unless I'm misunderstanding, it sounds like you want to install an application on the server.  If so, that is also unsupported.  Perhaps you can be more specific about what it is you're trying to do.

Is it possible to back up in such a partition on the server from our old desktops and then just plug in the new destops and start fresh on the remaining portion of the server HDD.

If you're saying you want to backup your clients to a specific location on the server, no that's not possible.  You can backup any or all partitions of a client, but the server handles where and how the backups get stored.  However, you can backup your old clients, then add the new clients and back those up to the server as well, providing you don't go over 10 total clients (both new and old combined).  (If that's not what you mean, can you please clarify?)

Any help appreciated !!!
    Also, for some of the basic WHS information, you should check the WHS website.
    • Marked as answer by Kart Racer Tuesday, January 19, 2010 4:18 AM
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:30 AM

All replies

There is no supported way to do that.  In addition, unless I'm misunderstanding, it sounds like you want to install an application on the server.  If so, that is also unsupported.  Perhaps you can be more specific about what it is you're trying to do.

If you're saying you want to backup your clients to a specific location on the server, no that's not possible.  You can backup any or all partitions of a client, but the server handles where and how the backups get stored.  However, you can backup your old clients, then add the new clients and back those up to the server as well, providing you don't go over 10 total clients (both new and old combined).  (If that's not what you mean, can you please clarify?)

Any help appreciated !!!
    Also, for some of the basic WHS information, you should check the WHS website.
    • Marked as answer by Kart Racer Tuesday, January 19, 2010 4:18 AM
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:30 AM
  • Thanks for your reply !!!

I believe I understand what you are saying but to restate it...  I cannot partition the server's had drive but I can create backups of the current information as clients 1,2,&3 for example.  Then I take the new units and set them up as clients 4,5,&6 (still leaves me 4 to add later).  That will keep the old data files and the new data files separate.  I suspect also that when the time comes and we no longer need to have the old data we can delete clients 1,2,& 3, and get those client positions back to use for new clients if we need them.

I don't intend to install an application on the server but would like to use the same application on a new client (4,5, or 6) to access the old data files if necessary.  I don't think there should be a problem in that as we are reinstalling the same application on the new machines and starting with clean 2010 data. Point it out if you think I will run into a problem with that.

Also, thanks for pointing me to the WHS website.  Aware of any good beginner reference books for WHS?

Much Appreciated !!!
    --SC-- 
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:59 AM
  • Thanks for your reply !!!

I believe I understand what you are saying but to restate it...  I cannot partition the server's had drive but I can create backups of the current information as clients 1,2,&3 for example.  Then I take the new units and set them up as clients 4,5,&6 (still leaves me 4 to add later).  That will keep the old data files and the new data files separate.  I suspect also that when the time comes and we no longer need to have the old data we can delete clients 1,2,& 3, and get those client positions back to use for new clients if we need them.

Correct.  The only caveat to all of that is only the server administrator (and any person the administrator shares the admin password with) can restore files from the backup database.  Depending on how often you might need to access those old files, it might be better to store them in one of the shared folders so that they can be accessible to anybody.  (Just to clarify:  the backup database and the shared folders are completely separate functions.)

I don't intend to install an application on the server but would like to use the same application on a new client (4,5, or 6) to access the old data files if necessary.

Ahh ok, now I get it.  In that case, you would probably want to store the data in the shared folders instead of the backup database (or maybe even both).

I don't think there should be a problem in that as we are reinstalling the same application on the new machines and starting with clean 2010 data. Point it out if you think I will run into a problem with that.

Also, thanks for pointing me to the WHS website.  Aware of any good beginner reference books for WHS?

I basically learned WHS "on-the-fly" (plus my day job handling server maintenance kinda helped a little bit as well  :)  ) so I'm afraid I can't recommend any books.  However, there are at least a few on sale at amazon.com.

Much Appreciated !!!
    --SC-- 

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 4:37 AM