Excel (or other apps) Not Responding RRS feed

• Question

• I've been successfully using WHS for over a year and am quite happy with it.  All data files that my family uses reside on the Public or User folders--we store NO DATA on our local machines.  Fairly frequently, I run into the situation where, when I save a files (such as an Excel workbook), the process takes 10 or 15 seconds and I temporarily get a message such as "Excel Not Responding."  After 10 or 15 seconds, the message goes away, the file having been saved.  For what it's worth, the default location of all workbooks is \\ServerName\Public\Worksheets.  Worksheets load quickly from this location, but saves often take way to long, and yield the Not Responding message.

The network is gigabyte throughout and responsiveness is general very fast.  Both the server and desktops are Core 2 Duos, so I don't think the issue is one of weak hardware.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ed
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 8:14 PM

Answers

• I've been successfully using WHS for over a year and am quite happy with it.  All data files that my family uses reside on the Public or User folders--we store NO DATA on our local machines.  Fairly frequently, I run into the situation where, when I save a files (such as an Excel workbook), the process takes 10 or 15 seconds and I temporarily get a message such as "Excel Not Responding."  After 10 or 15 seconds, the message goes away, the file having been saved.  For what it's worth, the default location of all workbooks is \\ServerName\Public\Worksheets.  Worksheets load quickly from this location, but saves often take way to long, and yield the Not Responding message.

The network is gigabyte throughout and responsiveness is general very fast.  Both the server and desktops are Core 2 Duos, so I don't think the issue is one of weak hardware.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ed
    You might try running chkdsk /r on each drive in your server.  See the FAQ post:  How to check all the drives in your server for errors for details.
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 3:02 AM

All replies

Thanks,
    Ed
    You might try running chkdsk /r on each drive in your server.  See the FAQ post:  How to check all the drives in your server for errors for details.
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 3:02 AM
  • Ran chkdsk/r, no errors.  Also, checked to make sure drivers (particularly network card drivers) were correct and most recent.  All checked out but problem still continues.  Finally, for what it's worth, the box runs Win 7.  Problem still occurs.  Any other ideas?
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 1:40 AM
  • This may not be a WHS issue. I use three Windows 7 PCs and they all do that occasionally when writing to a network share (not a WHS share). It doesn't happen with every save and so far I haven't been able to pin down what causes it. I've even seen it happen when uploading a file to a web site via IE or Firefox. When these PCs were running Vista, the problem never occurred. I think it's a Windows 7 issue.
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 4:26 AM