Drive backup still looks for "old" drives RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I've got a situation (not a problem really, just an annoyance) I was hoping someone could help me with.

In the beginning, my HTPC machine (Vista Home Premium) had a single HDD of approx. 250GB. I'd set up the Console Connector software up on it, and everything worked well between it and the WHS machine. I had not set up the WHS to backup the HTPC at this point.

Recently, I decided to repartion the single 250GB partition from one logical drive (C:, ~250GB) into two: the first is C: (~50GB) for all the system/program/etc files, and then a second, D: (~200GB) to be used only for VMC's Recorded TV files. Rather than reinstalling the whole thing from scratch, I used a boot disc-based partition manager to shrink the original C: drive down, and then made a new partition in the remaining space. Long story short, everything worked fine with that operation.

Now, I've finally set WHS to backup my HTPC machine system partition/drive only (C:, ~50GB), and when I go to "Configure Backup" in the WHS Console, I now see 3 drives: the original 250GB C: drive, the new smaller (50GB) C: drive, and the new D: (200GB drive). In the same row as the original 250GB drive is the following information: Location: Unknown, Status: Not Connected...

So, I'm assuming that, much like when WHS's own drives go "missing" (get removed, etc), WHS is "waiting" for that drive to return, and making a "mental note" of that drive if/when that drive reappears in my HTPC machine. Obviously, that 250GB "drive" will never return, so is there a way that I can tell WHS to not look for it again, and as a result, to not list it in the "Configure Backups" dialog? I've tried uninstalling the Connector software on the HTPC machine and then "Remove Computer" from the Backup tab of WHS console, but that didn't work; it still remembers it.

So:
    1) Is there a way to make WHS forget about that drive, either through editing a config file somewhere or something more mundane or,
    2) Is there a way I can completely obliterate the "memory" or profile of a network computer from my WHS machine, so I can reconnect it and have it recognized as a new machine and not the "old" one?

Thanks for any help you can offer!
    -Andy J
    Sunday, December 30, 2007 3:58 AM

Answers

• Hello... I'm a genius. I just figured it out. I re-removed the Connector service from the HTPC machine, rebooted, removed the HTPC machine from the WHS Backup computer list, rebooted te WHS machine, and reinstalled the connector service on HTPc machine.... All is well, sorry for the distraction!

Mods, feel free to delete this thread, or at least show me how I can mark it as "solved". Thanks to all for their support of this innovative software!
    -Andy J
    Sunday, December 30, 2007 4:41 AM