This computer cannot connect to your home server RRS feed

• Question

•  

I've been using WHS for almost a year now. As soon as it became available for purchase I did so, and reinstalled the server.

My problem. Every few weeks/months the server is no longer available to connect to via the Connector software and I receive the following error:

"This computer cannot connect to your home server. Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on. If your home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes."

This error seems to plague me, and seems to appear once in awhile. The only remedy I have found is a full server reinstallation each time.

Here is my network configuration:

WHS

AMD 4000+ Single Core

4GB RAM DDR2

6 WD 1TB Drives (6TB Total)

1 WD 80GB (System Volume)

Machspeed Mainboard MSLV-939

I have two vista laptops connected to the server and one Vista Media Center machine (headless) that serves up Recorded TV and Live TV to 4 Xbox 360s in the house.

I have no WHS Add-Ins installed and am running a Linksys WRT54GS router with a static IP from Comcast. The router acts as my LAN DHCP and dishes out IP's accordingly. The WHS machine has had the same LAN IP since day 1 192.168.1.109. It has never changed.

Last night I was struck by the "cannot connect to your home server" bug when trying to do a restore to the Vista Media Center machine. Of course since the connector software gave me this error, so did the restore CD. So I reinstalled WHS (and this takes 5 hours).

I love WHS. It's saved my butt on several occasions and it's easy to use. However I am haunted with this problem, and I just can't bear to reinstall the server again. I want to find a solution to this, and I have searched everywhere.

Other thing I may need to mention: I have 4 users on the WHS box. Several shares with separate permissions, any direction would be appreciated. I receive the above error from all computer on the network, all services and backups run fine. I am still able to access the shared folders with permissions intact without any problems at all. Everything seems to continue running fine EXCEPT for the connector software.

Sunday, February 10, 2008 3:12 PM

Answers

•  ScottLockwood wrote:

I don't know what is causing the problem. Perhaps your server is rebooting after an automatic update? But, rather than reinstall WHS when this happens it might work to run the Discovery.exe tool. This tool is installed on all clients with the connector software, and shhould be found in C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\Discovery.exe. At least this is what I do after a reboot. Hope it helps.

You should not have to run discovery.exe so often.

Did you run the WHS Updates and if so you should reinstall the Connector Software from the" \\Server\Software\Home Server Connector Software "    folder  the newest version will be there.

Sunday, February 10, 2008 5:30 PM

All replies

• I don't know what is causing the problem. Perhaps your server is rebooting after an automatic update? But, rather than reinstall WHS when this happens it might work to run the Discovery.exe tool. This tool is installed on all clients with the connector software, and shhould be found in C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\Discovery.exe. At least this is what I do after a reboot. Hope it helps.

Sunday, February 10, 2008 4:10 PM
  •  ScottLockwood wrote:

I don't know what is causing the problem. Perhaps your server is rebooting after an automatic update? But, rather than reinstall WHS when this happens it might work to run the Discovery.exe tool. This tool is installed on all clients with the connector software, and shhould be found in C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\Discovery.exe. At least this is what I do after a reboot. Hope it helps.

You should not have to run discovery.exe so often.

Did you run the WHS Updates and if so you should reinstall the Connector Software from the" \\Server\Software\Home Server Connector Software "    folder  the newest version will be there.

Sunday, February 10, 2008 5:30 PM
  • Ahh, you are correct.  I miss spoke. The reboots I had in mind are those I have been experiencing this weekend after a  WHS Update and then the consequential reformat/reinstall because of this issue. Now you mention it, I don't lose my Home Server Console connection after the update. Its the reinstall that does it! Thanks for the tip about updating the connector software after updating WHS!

Sunday, February 10, 2008 5:50 PM
  •  

I just ran Discovery.exe in the path specified.

Here's the error received:

Unable to connect to your home server

The following issues may cause the problem:

- Your home server may not be powered on

- A firewall on this computer is blocking the connection

- A proxy server is configured on this computer for the network connection

None of the above applies. I can of course Remote Desktop into the server, and as I specified in my previous post. Everything else runs just fine. Backups, shared folder, etc.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Sunday, February 10, 2008 5:55 PM
  •  SKHammerly wrote:

I just ran Discovery.exe in the path specified.

Here's the error received:

Unable to connect to your home server

None of the above applies. I can of course Remote Desktop into the server, and as I specified in my previous post. Everything else runs just fine. Backups, shared folder, etc.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Do not run Discovery.exe from the Homeserver doredtoy on the local machine

Please reinstall the connector software from the copy thats on the servr See my earlier post

Sunday, February 10, 2008 5:58 PM
  •  

Rouza, thanks so much. I reinstalled WHS Connector Software from the share you specified. It automatically uninstalled, and reinstalled the client application on my laptop, and I was able to connect successfully!

This seems rather obvious, and I am a bit embarrassed. However I was in-fact using a copy of the connector software I had on my local machine, rather than the one on the server.

Is it possible that WHS put a newer version in the Software share? Via Windows update of what have you? Just curious. Very happy indeed. Thanks again, you've just made my day.

This is the only gripe I have had with WHS, and it now seems to be behind me. 

Sunday, February 10, 2008 6:08 PM
  •  SKHammerly wrote:

Rouza, thanks so much. I reinstalled WHS Connector Software from the share you specified. It automatically uninstalled, and reinstalled the client application on my laptop, and I was able to connect successfully!

This seems rather obvious, and I am a bit embarrassed. However I was in-fact using a copy of the connector software I had on my local machine, rather than the one on the server.

Is it possible that WHS put a newer version in the Software share? Via Windows update of what have you? Just curious. Very happy indeed. Thanks again, you've just made my day.

This is the only gripe I have had with WHS, and it now seems to be behind me. 

WHS update will update the connector Software on the \\servr\software\Home Server Connector Software\

I believe "Power Pack 1" will alert you that a newer version of the softwae is available whenever it is updated.

Gald to see you are OK now

Sunday, February 10, 2008 6:16 PM
  • Yes, PP1 will let you automatically push Connector updates or let you do it manually (I believe).  And very likely because of issues like this.  No need to feel embarrased about not seeing the solution here, it isn't that obvious, and especially not for its target audience.  Heck, it almost got by me, so there is no way somebody like my parents (rather computer illiterate) would ever figure out what to do. 

All in all, this is a great product and my one problem with it is network transfer speeds (but my USB drive gets around that Stick out tongue)
    Sunday, February 10, 2008 9:59 PM
  • In the meantime, it sure would be nice if the WHS team let us all know when they've pushed out new Connector software, e.g., a post in this forum titled "New Connector Software Released!" Pretty simple stuff, that would save EVERY USER a lot of hassle. --Peter

Monday, February 11, 2008 5:55 PM
  • You will know that there is new connector software. When an update to WHS is released (including the refreshes that go out every couple of months) the connector is normally updated. You will see a warning in your system tray if the versions on the server and the client don't match.
    Monday, February 11, 2008 7:16 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    You will know that there is new connector software. When an update to WHS is released (including the refreshes that go out every couple of months) the connector is normally updated. You will see a warning in your system tray if the versions on the server and the client don't match.

That's definitely not my experience - I do not recall EVER receiving any such system tray warning. My experience is I know the server requires new connector software when I can't connect to the server (using the WHS Console) from any of my computers, with the same "cannot connect" message which IN NO WAY suggests new connector software is the solution. That's usually followed by pulling of hair and gnashing of teeth, until I realize other aspects of networking are still working, and the server has likely been updated - did I receive any notice from MS? nope - and now I have to go from machine to machine, re-installing the connector software.

Note the super-duper incredibly easy, no cost solution to this problem - post a notice in this forum! One PM writes one brief post, it goes to hundreds/thousands of WHS users. Problem (mostly) solved.

A slightly more challenging solution, but still easy, is to use the registration data I provided, which included my email address, to directly notify me of the change (notifying other WHS customers is OK too). Since I check email more often than the forum, this would actually be more effective and timely.

Finally, instead of having MS decide for me when all my computers will stop talking to WHS, I'd sure like to have the OPTION of installing, or not installing, the server change that requires the new connector software. I might have a busy week and would like to defer the change until the weekend, for example, without risking my computers not being backed up (as would be the case if the WHS was updated but I waited a week to install the new connector software).

--Peter

Monday, February 11, 2008 7:56 PM
  • I was having the same problem this Wed (after a patch Tuesday). In my case it turned out a patch had been applied to IE on my client machine, which in turn caused my Firewall, Zone Alarm, to identify it as a changed program and deny it access to the local network and the Internet.

Windows Home Server Connector software apparently calls components of IE to do its network lookup work (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946412). Since Zone Alarm was blocking IE, Windows Home Server Connector would not work either. Once I cleared IE for access through the firewall the Windows Home Server Connector started working as well.

For some reason Zone Alarm would not give me a pop-up telling me it blocked IE when IE was called via the connector software, although it would when I launched IE directly.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 9:54 PM
  • I just had the same problem for the first time, while trying to setup a new laptop for my wife.

Turns out, the laptop was (for some unknown reason) suddenly resolving the hostname "server" using DNS resolution rather than a netbios lookup.  My ISP is comcast, so with the default DNS search suffix of  location.st.comcast.net it was resolving a host named 'server.location.st.comcast.net' ---  and oddly enough, it was an issue repeatable while using IE to browse to 'http://server'  -

The quickest solution was to add a static hosts entry for the home server in the laptop's hosts file  (C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) -- 

Once this was done (be sure to close any open IE windows, and then restart IE) -  then try the 'http://server'  in IE -- if it brings up your home server webpage, you're now good to go...  if it doesn't you might try an 'ipconfig /flushdns' from a command prompt...

Then go back and re-run the connector install - worked like a charm for me.

Good luck!

• Proposed as answer by Wutership Monday, February 14, 2011 10:02 AM
    Monday, March 3, 2008 2:35 AM
  • In addition to what Ed suggests I also added the Server's information to my home firewall/router's hosts file and it has worked fine ever since, even when I added a new laptop and it did its initial serarch - came right up first try!  Thanks Ed Smile

Ed34 wrote:

I just had the same problem for the first time, while trying to setup a new laptop for my wife.

Turns out, the laptop was (for some unknown reason) suddenly resolving the hostname "server" using DNS resolution rather than a netbios lookup.  My ISP is comcast, so with the default DNS search suffix of  location.st.comcast.net it was resolving a host named 'server.location.st.comcast.net' ---  and oddly enough, it was an issue repeatable while using IE to browse to 'http://server'  -

The quickest solution was to add a static hosts entry for the home server in the laptop's hosts file  (C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) -- 

Once this was done (be sure to close any open IE windows, and then restart IE) -  then try the 'http://server'  in IE -- if it brings up your home server webpage, you're now good to go...  if it doesn't you might try an 'ipconfig /flushdns' from a command prompt...

Good luck!

Sunday, March 16, 2008 3:24 PM
  • hey guyz am haveing this same problem. i tryed evey you use satted and nutting work.

here a screen shot

http://i38.tinypic.com/2m2xf0x.jpg

Sunday, September 14, 2008 3:57 PM
  • Hi,
    How did this start, was everything OK before? - any changes?
    Also, what do the logs on the Client say?

Colin
    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Sunday, September 14, 2008 5:32 PM
  • well it started from the starting. i just install windows home server. then i install the home server connector on a 32bit vista home basic and it did not work i install the power pack 1 update and install the 64bit home server connector on a 64bit vista ultimate on a 2nd laptop and it did not work i still get that errror. basicly it never work from the starting
    Monday, September 15, 2008 2:38 PM
  • As an initial troubleshooting step:

Since you installed Windows Home Server yourself, I assume you have a keyboard, monitor and mouse you can connect? You should do so, then log in to your server locally and check the server's IP address. After you've done that, try to ping the server by name, and by IP address, from one of the computers you're having issues with.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, September 15, 2008 4:58 PM
  • ok i ping it here what i get:: 

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Devin>ping www.miztainsane.homeserver.com

Pinging www.miztainsane.homeserver.com [208.67.217.132] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 208.67.217.132: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=52
    Reply from 208.67.217.132: bytes=32 time=43ms TTL=52
    Reply from 208.67.217.132: bytes=32 time=66ms TTL=52
    Reply from 208.67.217.132: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=52

Ping statistics for 208.67.217.132:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 21ms, Maximum = 66ms, Average = 38ms

C:\Users\Devin>ping 24.191.48.56

Pinging 24.191.48.56 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 24.191.48.56: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64
    Reply from 24.191.48.56: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 24.191.48.56:
        Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 2ms, Average = 1ms

what should i be lookin for??

Monday, September 15, 2008 8:53 PM
  • Mizta Insane said:

ok i ping it here what i get:: 

C:\Users\Devin>ping www.miztainsane.homeserver.com

Pinging www.miztainsane.homeserver.com [208.67.217.132] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 208.67.217.132: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=52
    Reply from 208.67.217.132: bytes=32 time=43ms TTL=52
    Reply from 208.67.217.132: bytes=32 time=66ms TTL=52
    Reply from 208.67.217.132: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=52

Minimum = 21ms, Maximum = 66ms, Average = 38ms

C:\Users\Devin>ping 24.191.48.56

Pinging 24.191.48.56 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 24.191.48.56: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 24.191.48.56:
        Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 2ms, Average = 1ms

what should i be lookin for??

I believe Ken meant to ping the server by name from inside your LAN.  (You pinged it through the internet.)  In other words, if you didn't change the default name of the server, it's called SERVER (at least in the USA).  So you would type "ping server" (without the quotes).  Also, you want to ping the local IP address (usually starts with 192.168), not the external IP address.
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 1:11 AM
  • The issue that you're having is internal to your network, so you should use your home server's internal IP address (probably starting with 192.168) and your server's name, not the vanity URL you set up for remote access.
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 8:08 PM
  • Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]

C:\Users\Devin> ping mistainsane

Pinging mistainsane.cfl.rr.com [208.67.217.132] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 208.67.217.132: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=49
    Reply from 208.67.217.132: bytes=32 time=61ms TTL=49
    Reply from 208.67.217.132: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=49
    Reply from 208.67.217.132: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=49

Minimum = 17ms, Maximum = 61ms, Average = 32ms

C:\Users\Devin>ping 192.168.1.1

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
        Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 1ms

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 10:51 PM
  • I see from that IP address that you use OpenDNS. I'm not a fan; much of the "magic" they do is by not following the standards regarding DNS and lookups, and not following standards has the potential to lead to all sorts of odd issues and incompatibilities. My feeling is that you should go back to using the DNS servers that your ISP provides.

If you must continue to use OpenDNS, I would recommend you check with them on how to properly configure their service so that it doesn't interfere with your internal name resolution. If they can't, or won't, help you, then again I think you should drop them.
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 11:29 AM
  • Do you have any info on how/if DNS is used for the connector software?  I am having a similar issue - I can ping the server by IP and contact the server shares by name, but Windows Home Server Console will not connect.

I'm using DD-WRT, but do not have local DNS enabled.  Is a local DNS server required?  My ISP is earthlink.net, and they are one of the providers that use bogus DNS responses and transparent proxying to forward invalid web addresses to their internal search engine.  Based on the ping response below, my guess is that the ISP is returning a bogus address for the server.

SMB appears to be resolving the name correctly:

>net view \\latte
    Shared resources at \\latte

Share name  Type  Used as  Comment

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Music       Disk           Shared folder for music
    Photos      Disk           Shared folder for photos
    Public      Disk           Shared folder for miscellaneous files
    Software    Disk           Shared folder for software installation programs
    Users       Disk           Personal folders for users
    Videos      Disk           Shared folder for videos
    The command completed successfully.

C:\Users\Patrick>ping latte

Pinging latte.hsd1.wa.comcast.net [207.69.131.9] with 32 bytes of data:
    Request timed out.

Sunday, October 26, 2008 5:08 AM
  • Patrick Lang said:

Do you have any info on how/if DNS is used for the connector software?  I am having a similar issue - I can ping the server by IP and contact the server shares by name, but Windows Home Server Console will not connect.

I'm using DD-WRT, but do not have local DNS enabled.  Is a local DNS server required?  My ISP is earthlink.net, and they are one of the providers that use bogus DNS responses and transparent proxying to forward invalid web addresses to their internal search engine.  Based on the ping response below, my guess is that the ISP is returning a bogus address for the server.

SMB appears to be resolving the name correctly:

>net view \\latte
    Shared resources at \\latte

Share name  Type  Used as  Comment

Music       Disk           Shared folder for music
    Photos      Disk           Shared folder for photos
    Public      Disk           Shared folder for miscellaneous files
    Software    Disk           Shared folder for software installation programs
    Users       Disk           Personal folders for users
    Videos      Disk           Shared folder for videos

C:\Users\Patrick>ping latte

Pinging latte.hsd1.wa.comcast.net [207.69.131.9] with 32 bytes of data:
    Request timed out.

It looks like your client thinks your server is on the internet, not a local computer.  You might start by flushing the DNS.  From a command prompt type:  ipconfig /flushdns.  Also, can you run ipconfig /all on your client and server and post the results here?  You can also try installing the WHS Toolkit on your client and run the diagnostics on it.
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 12:25 PM
  • Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : cappuccino
       Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
       IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.wa.comcast.net.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : hsd1.wa.comcast.net.
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82566DC-2 Gigabit Network Connec
    tion
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : <removed>
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::180:8753:3a2e:4620%10(Preferred)
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.24(Preferred)
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, October 25, 2008 8:16:03 PM
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, October 27, 2008 11:50:01 AM
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
       DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 207.217.126.81
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Anything I look up that doesn't exist as an internet address still receives a record:

>nslookup
    Default Server:  rns1.earthlink.net
    Address:  207.217.126.81

> latte
    Server:  rns1.earthlink.net

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name:    latte.hsd1.wa.comcast.net
    Addresses:  207.69.131.10

> nonexistant.address

Name:    nonexistant.address.hsd1.wa.comcast.net
    Addresses:  207.69.131.9

ipconfig /flushdns didn't change anything

So the question remains - does the WHS Console have a hard dependency on DNS (as opposed to local SMB lookup)?  It appears that it does.  Adding an entry in %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts resolved my issue.

Sunday, October 26, 2008 6:57 PM
  • Patrick Lang said:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : cappuccino
       DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.wa.comcast.net.

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : hsd1.wa.comcast.net.
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82566DC-2 Gigabit Network Connec
    tion
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : <removed>
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::180:8753:3a2e:4620%10(Preferred)
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.24(Preferred)
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, October 25, 2008 8:16:03 PM
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, October 27, 2008 11:50:01 AM
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
       DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 207.217.126.81

Anything I look up that doesn't exist as an internet address still receives a record:

>nslookup
    Default Server:  rns1.earthlink.net

> latte

Name:    latte.hsd1.wa.comcast.net
    Addresses:  207.69.131.10

> nonexistant.address

Name:    nonexistant.address.hsd1.wa.comcast.net
    Addresses:  207.69.131.9

ipconfig /flushdns didn't change anything

So the question remains - does the WHS Console have a hard dependency on DNS (as opposed to local SMB lookup)?  It appears that it does.  Adding an entry in %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts resolved my issue.

While modifying the hosts file does work, it doesn't solve the underlying problem.  You might try changing your DNS server entries to point to your router (192.168.1.1).  (Also, don't forget to remove your entry from the hosts file first. :)  )
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 7:15 PM
  • I changed my router's settings (DD-WRT) to use DNSmasq to resolve local DNS entries as well as forwarding to the ISP DNS server.  This fixed it.
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 9:32 PM
  • I am having the same problem - I have tried all the suggestions I can find on this site and others.

I can't run RDC or console from any of my clients. (I have reported this in another thread but it was an old thread so might not be recieving current attention)

I can't seem to get the option to re-install WHS server so I am not able to follow that route without losing data

Here is the data from my clients system.

My server has two cards 77 and 78 my server response is below the client response.

C:\Users\Kevin>net view \\reid-server
    Shared resources at \\reid-server

Share name                 Type  Used as
                    Comment

Clip Art                   Disk
                    Clip Art to browse
    Films                      Disk
                    Movies
    Golf                       Disk
                    Otley Golf Rabbits and more
    Harwood Property Holdings  Disk

IPod Photo Cache           Disk

Music                      Disk
                    Shared folder for music
    OneNote                    Disk

Outlook                    Disk

Photos                     Disk
                    Shared folder for photos
    Public                     Disk
                    Shared folder for miscellaneous files
    Reid IT services           Disk
                    Business Files
    Software                   Disk
                    Shared folder for software installation programs
    Users                      Disk
                    Personal folders for users
    Videos                     Disk
                    Shared folder for videos

C:\Users\Kevin>ping reid-server

Pinging reid-server [192.168.1.77] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 192.168.1.77: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.77:
        Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 1ms

C:\Users\Kevin>ping 192.168.1.78

Pinging 192.168.1.78 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 192.168.1.78: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=128
    Reply from 192.168.1.78: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.78:
        Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 11ms, Average = 3ms

C:\Users\Kevin>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Kevs-Laptop
       DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : home
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Con
    nection
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : removed   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::ad2d:f868:608f:ff61%10(Preferred)
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.70(Preferred)
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 03 December 2008 08:16:54
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 04 December 2008 08:19:00
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
       DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
       Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : removed
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection*:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
       IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:d5c7:a2ca:3836:2d88:3f57:feb9(Pref
    erred)
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::3836:2d88:3f57:feb9%12(Preferred)
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{E2923977-E02F-422B-BEA8-DEA79CF9B
    CF6}

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 8:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

C:\Users\Kevin>nslookup
    Default Server:  api.home
    Address:  192.168.1.254

> latte
    Server:  api.home

*** api.home can't find latte: Non-existent domain
    > reid-server

Name:    reid-server.home
    Address:  192.168.1.77

>

Server response

Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : reid-server
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
       DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : CNet PRO200WL PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
       IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.78
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 03 December 2008 10:26:01
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 04 December 2008 10:26:01

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SMC EZ Card 10/100 Fast Ethernet PCI Netw
    ork Adapter
       IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.77
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 03 December 2008 10:26:01
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 04 December 2008 10:26:01

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping kevs-laptop

Pinging kevs-laptop.home [192.168.1.70] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.70: bytes=32 time=288ms TTL=64
    Reply from 192.168.1.70: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.70:
        Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 288ms, Average = 72ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>nslookup
    Default Server:  api.home

> reid-server

Name:    reid-server.home
    Address:  192.168.1.77

>

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 11:38 AM
  • hello all, i seem to be having the same issue from my work laptop (although all others seem to be connecting just fine to WHS).  I did the suggested and get the below info:

i pinged my server name and it could not find it but when i pinged the ip it returned just fine.  ANy ideas what the issue could be?

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 1:56 AM
  • orlando5 said:

hello all, i seem to be having the same issue from my work laptop (although all others seem to be connecting just fine to WHS).  I did the suggested and get the below info:

i pinged my server name and it could not find it but when i pinged the ip it returned just fine.  ANy ideas what the issue could be?

It is most likely DNS related.  However, in order to keep your problem separate from everyone else's, I would suggest you start your own thread (and run ipconfig /all on your server and client and post it in your message as well).
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 3:39 AM
  • Error: 

This computer cannot connect to your home server.  Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on.  If your home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes.

I have the problem with my OEM build 3790 licensed WHS

With same hardware setup I installed the trial os everything OK and working.  The console will open and function. 

Reinstall oem os and the error and console failure is back.

HP Proliant ML115t01 server

WHS oem Powerpack 1

All server updates installed

All port required are open

nsLookup Homeserver  reports are correct IP

Ping Homeserver works

Event logs are normal

Something else interesting is the connector troubleshooter reports a different version exists between server and workstation even though it was installed from the software shared folder on the server.

Remote Desktop login functions as well as backup and web interface.  Only the client console gives this error.

I have over 100 hours trying to solve this. 

I have tried the modem unplug > router unplug> Router plug in>install connector router unplug > modem plug in  > router plugin solution found on this site without success.

I believe that there must be something different regarding the OEM verse trial version but I cannot discover what it is and the problem is only on the server not notifying that it is running.

Any suggestions.

• Edited by lawrny47 Monday, January 26, 2009 5:59 AM
    Monday, January 26, 2009 5:33 AM
  • lawrny47 said:

Error: 

This computer cannot connect to your home server.  Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on.

I have the problem with my eom licensed WHS with same hardware setup installed Trial os everything OK and working.  The console will open.  Reinstall oem os and the error and console failure is back.

Something else interesting is the connector troubleshooter reports a different version exists between server and workstation even though it was installed from the software shared folder on the server.

I have over 100 hours tring to solve this.  I have tried the modem unplug > router unplug> Router plugin >install connector router unplug > modem plug in  > router plugin solution found on this site without success.

I believe that there must be something different regarding the oem verse trial version but I cannot discover what it is.

Any suggestion would be appricated.

First, I would suggest you start your own thread.  Having said that, you might want to try running discovery.exe from your client (located inside C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server).
    Monday, January 26, 2009 5:50 AM
  • Discovery provide no errors and installs perfectly.  Posting new thread as requested.
    Monday, January 26, 2009 6:04 AM
  • Hi Rouza, I am having the same problem described by SKHammerly, that I get  the message below when trying to install the WHS connector.

I'd like to try installing the connector from the server, using the share \\servr\software\Home Server Connector Software but I don't know how to access this folder from the computer I am using, which I am assuming that is how it is supposed to work...

Some facts...

I have the WHS s/w installed on 3 other wireless computers and I can connect to the server no problem
    I recently bought a new router Linksys WRT160Nv2
    The computer I am having problems with is the only one hardwired to the router.
    I can ping the server IP address, but I can't ping the server name from the computer giveng me the problems...

.Any help you could provide would be much appreciated...

Thanks...

John

John
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 1:13 AM
  • Hi i thought id add to this topic as somthing quite similar has plagued me since i went to re install the WHS client on a laptop i had re installed windows Vista on without using the backup service available on the WHS client prieviesly installed on the Laptop before re install. ( i know stupidity on my Part but moving on). My problem is that after being prompted for my Admin Password on the WHS client install it then returns with a message telling me it could not connect with the server and to try again later. I have looked and noticed a remaining database or backup for this PC still living on the WHS i again stoopidly took the PC off the backup list with out even trying to delete it first. So i am now wondering if this could cause problems in my case I have tryed repairing and cleaning my backups and it is retrying that as i type this post. If this is my problem will there be other remnances of my prievious backups in other places either registry or other database entries. Is there a process for removall of rogue DB entries or is this being looked at by anyone. I am still able to access the share and utilise the normal server roles minus automated backups. I have the Win 7 beta and would love to be able to test it with WHS before it runs out. Also have the appropriate log files if needed here is one below probably way off course.
    ********** Starting log, build Oct 31 2008 08:10:15 (6.0.1800.24), Process Id 1414 **********

*************************** WHSConnector SERVICE STARTED ************************************

[9/02/2009 6:44:24 PM 130c] CTransportConfig::ServerID Server ID is 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
    [9/02/2009 6:44:24 PM  388] NetworkStatus::getNetworkStatus Available address: 127.0.0.1 (0100007f)
    [9/02/2009 6:44:24 PM  388] NetworkStatus::getNetworkStatus Available address: 192.168.1.10 (0a01a8c0)

[2009/02/09 18:44:24  388]   CTransportConfig::RecoverConfig Verifying -1 clients
    [2009/02/09 18:44:24  388]   CTransportConfig::ValidateConfig Server discovery is not done yet, server id is GUID_NULL.
    [2009/02/09 18:44:54  388]   CTransportConfig::ValidateConfig Server discovery is not done yet, server id is GUID_NULL.
    [2009/02/09 18:45:24  388]   CTransportConfig::ValidateConfig Server discovery is not done yet, server id is GUID_NULL.
    [2009/02/09 18:45:43  388]   CTransportConfig::ValidateConfig Server discovery is not done yet, server id is GUID_NULL.
    [9/02/2009 6:45:43 PM  e58] NetworkStatus::getNetworkStatus Available address: 127.0.0.1 (0100007f)
    [9/02/2009 6:45:43 PM  e58] NetworkStatus::getNetworkStatus Available address: 192.168.1.10 (0a01a8c0)
    [9/02/2009 6:45:43 PM 130c] ----- WHSConnector SERVICE ENDED -----

eddie

• Proposed as answer by Eman_Systems Thursday, February 26, 2009 12:24 AM
    Monday, February 9, 2009 2:45 AM
  • Hi

Guys, my Windows Home Server has been doing my head in!
    Recently I have now done six reinstalls (keeping your data) and all the tests you guys mentioned above but Remote desktop and Windows Home Server connectors stop working after the automatic updates.

Lets get to the point here, first of all I would like to confirm that I'm not an expert in the software field but build and fix computers. So I decided to get down to the crunch and find out what was causing the problem. I made my sixth reinstall again keeping my data. But this time I had a copy of NET Framework 3.5 and a copy of Windows Home Server Power Pack 1 RTM I had downloaded earlier. The reinstall was as usual, applied the Nics drivers all the bits of softwares I use on home server.

All this is done before letting in the updates. Windows Vista 64bit does not connect to the W H S without first applying  the  Power Pack  RTM, so I installed it. Connected to the Home Server with Remote Desktop and the Connector consoles with all my PCs and everything worked fine (Before the automatic updates)
    It was then when I installed NET Framework 3.5, "HELL" broke loose again. The Console of the actual Server is slow to respond, some times taking up to 5mins.to appear.  Remote Desktop and the Clients stopped working, errors: computer cannot connect to the Home Server contact the administrator! When the last time I checked, that guy happens to be ME!. There is also another diabolical one from the Client connectors, incorrect password! A proper Mechanic would use a hammer to punch this in! It was correct earlier, why now?

My point here guys is NET Framework 3.5 I managed to stumble upon it accidentally before I even installed  the rest  of  the  updates.  And one more thing I forgot to mention is the Shares are working fine and all the other applications (sageTV, My Movies etc) are doing their thing because of course the  W S H is connected to the network using DHCP and Powered on as is with the rest of the other PCs.

Can  someone at Microsoft try out my Tests to prove me wrong? I know it doesn't hurt because I've been there and done it six times so far. All I know it's
    irritating and time consuming. And I still believe in the W H S. It is the Greatest so far.

So guys BE NICE!

Kind Regards

Eman.

• Edited by Eman_Systems Thursday, February 26, 2009 10:58 AM
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 2:25 AM
  • Eman_Systems said:

Hi

Guys, my Windows Home Server has been doing my head in!
    Recently I have now done six reinstalls (keeping your data) and all the tests you guys mentioned above but Remote desktop and Windows Home Server connectors stop working after the automatic updates.

Lets get to the point here, first of all I would like to confirm that I'm not an expert in the software field but build and fix computers. So I decided to get down to the crunch and find out what was causing the problem. I made my sixth reinstall again keeping my data. But this time I had a copy of NET Framework 3.5 and a copy of Windows Home Server Power Pack 1 RTM I had downloaded earlier. The reinstall was as usual, applied the Nics drivers all the bits of softwares I use on home server.

What "bits of softwares" did you install?

Eman_Systems said:

All this is done before letting in the updates. Windows Vista 64bit does not connect to the W H S without first applying  the  Power Pack  RTM, so I installed it. Connected to the Home Server with Remote Desktop and the Connector consoles with all my PCs and everything worked fine (Before the automatic updates)
    It was then when I installed NET Framework 3.5, "HELL" broke loose again. The Console of the actual Server is slow to respond, some times taking up to 5mins.to appear.  Remote Desktop and the Clients stopped working, errors: computer cannot connect to the Home Server contact the administrator! When the last time I checked, that guy happens to be ME!. There is also another diabolical one from the Client connectors, incorrect password! A proper Mechanic would use a hammer to punch this in! It was correct earlier, why now?

My point here guys is NET Framework 3.5 I managed to stumble upon it accidentally before I even installed  the rest  of  the  updates.  And one more thing I forgot to mention is the Shares are working fine and all the other applications (sageTV, My Movies etc) are doing their thing because of course the  W S H is connect to the network using DHCP and Powered on as is with the rest of the other PCs.

Can  someone at Microsoft try out my Tests to prove me wrong? I know it doesn't hurt because I've been there and done it six times so far. All I know it's
    irritating and time consuming. And I still believe in the W H S. It is the Greatest so far.

So guys BE NICE!

Kind Regards

Eman.

Thursday, February 26, 2009 3:43 AM
  • The bits of softwares I mean here are ADD-INS recommended by WE GOT SERVED

Link: http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php?autocom=downloads (My Movies, SageTV, Perfect Disk 10....etc)

They have always worked until the automatic updates from Microsoft.

Kind Regards

Eman.

Thursday, February 26, 2009 10:50 AM
  • I don't believe that there is a list of "recommended" add-ins on the We Got Served forums. There are forums there for quite a number of add-ins, but I believe Terry simply provides those as a courtesy.

I would honestly recommend removing any add-in that doesn't supply some service that you absolutely can't live without. It sounds to me like the installation of .Net Framework 3.5 is causing a problem with some add-in on your server, but there is no easy way for me to tell you which one.

Thursday, February 26, 2009 2:34 PM
  • Hi

I often don't like asking questions because  if  it involves  computers  no one ever gives you a straight answer.  We  are  all learning  and no one knows it all.
    Since its invention the computer has been a marvel  and  comes  with tricks.  Lets just say, it rules the world! I would be depressed without it. Can you imagine the world without it? Lets not even go there!

Mine is not a point of argument on what ADD-INS I should and not use on my Home Server. The only reason I use the Home Server is not for business to stream
    documents but to be able share my media around my house.

I do not tie anyone to my demise but share my thoughts with others just like those on this site (forum) who have experienced the same problems and similar issues with the Home Server. I explained my self clearly which software I installed and of course in what order. What use will be the Home Server if it cannot do what it was made for. Yes of course I use the named add-ins for my media. Removing the add-ins, of course I did. One after another but the problem remained.

What I have not seen in the info. from any moderator is that, you set up a test PC and tried out different installation orders (scenarials)  like the ones myself and others have done. I hereby do not assume that everyone has the same set up of add-ins like I do but the results are similar ie (no Remote Desktop and Clients are malfunctioning). Did I also mention that the Server still works, doing what it does best "media sharing"

I should also hereby notify you that everything else works: DHCP, Netbios, Shared folders, lan and automatic backups.
    Let me live this to you to decide or  refer to your  IT  professionals (Microsoft) to  ponder  about.  The ball is your court!

I rest my case and ask no further questions.

Kind  regards.

Eman.

I'm not an IT professional, I just love computers.
    Friday, February 27, 2009 1:09 AM
  • Eman, I gave you a straight answer. I'll put that answer in stronger, more direct terms, though, since you didn't see it as a straight answer the first time:

The way to achieve a stable WHS that performs well is to choose a small number of add-ins that do something you truly can't live without, and then leave your server alone.

This is true of every operating system, not just Windows Home Server, and not even just Microsoft operating systems. The more software you install, uninstall, and tweak constantly, the less stable the platform will be. Eventually the platform fails somehow. You often see people reinstalling a desktop operating system every 6 months to a year because of this. You don't generally see a server having the OS reinstalled that frequently unless there is a severe hardware or software problem. In the case of WHS, my servers, and those of a number of friends and acquintances, have been stable since they were set up. So when I hear of someone who is constantly reinstalling WHS, I look first to the hardware, and second to how that person is using their server (i.e. what they have installed). This is because I know that WHS can be stable.

I just went back and re-read your original post. You don't list your add-ins, or the order you installed them in, you only mention casually that you installed some "bits of software". Then in a later post you mention that you installed the add-ins recommended by We Got Served, and gave a link to the community add-ins group of forums there. There's no recommendation implied or stated there, and there's no installation list.

As for recreating issues, you may not be aware of this, but the people who post the most here are all volunteers. We aren't paid a penny by Microsoft, or anyone else, for the assistance we give. Now, I have, on occasion, spent time recreating an issue. Doing so is difficult, time-consuming, and usually fruitless since many issues are extremely specific to the exact software installed, the exact (including PCB revisions for motherboards, BIOS revisions, drivers, etc.) hardware it's installed on, and even other devices on your home network. It's just as difficult for Microsoft to do so internally, in most cases, becuase they don't have your exact environment either.

So no, I haven't tried to recreate your issue. And I won't, because A) you give far too little information to do so, B) I don't have your hardware, and C) I'm pretty busy right now. I will say that with the limited set of add-ins I have installed on my server, I have had no problems with any updates, including the recent push of .Net Framework 3.5. I would suggest you submit a bug report on Connect, including logs collected from your server using the Windows home Server toolkit.

Friday, February 27, 2009 3:00 PM
  • Ok,

Thank you for that information. 
    I would have gone for the full install way but with 2T  of  data  I have  no choice  of  starting  from scratch until I transfer that data somewhere else.

thanx again.

Kind regards.

Eman.
    • Proposed as answer by Eman_Systems Saturday, February 28, 2009 1:54 PM
    Friday, February 27, 2009 3:37 PM
  • Hi guys,

I'm back hear only this time with some news!
    Because I'm not a quitter, I was on my reinstall no.8 (this is where you have to keep your files). This time I started off by rejoining the SERVER to my home network -work group instead of the usual windows  WORKGROUP.  This of course forces a restart and then I installed the network driver to connect to the internet for updates. This time I connected to the SERVER by Remote Desktop and did all the ADMINS from there. Downloaded 52+ updates including of course NET Framework 3.5 (sorry about that guys). I was still getting connected through RDC.

Now because I have monitor connected to my SERVER, I have an nVidia 6600 graphics card installed in my SERVER. So I installed this driver: NVIDIADisplayWin2K(177_89)Int. HELL broke loose!. Disconnected again! I removed the  graphics driver and was able to reconnect, so I decided to Google it with nVidia driver for Windows Home Server and this is what I found out:

Quote,

Nvidia Drivers Break Remote Desktop

Date: September 19th, 2008

Author: Joe DiFiglia

Category: Windows XP

Tags: ,

• Comments6 comment(s)
    • EmailPrintFeedShare

Many XP users have been blaming Service Pack 3 for breaking remote desktop connections to their machines.  I, for one, have been unable to RDC into my Windows XP machine since the upgrade to Service Pack 3 as well.  However, the issue isn’t with Service Pack 3 at all! Nvidia is at fault!

I spent days (counted the hours) trying to figure out what changed in Service Pack 3 that would break Remote Desktop.  Visiting the Microsoft site and learning about the new security measures and how to enable the Credential Security Service Provider yielded no results.

In case you are interested:

• http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951616/en-us
    • http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951608/

Oddly, around the same time I installed Service Pack 3 I also updated my nVidia drives to help me connect a Windows XP machine to a television in my office. This is where the problem comes from.  Unfortunately, I can’t tell you which versions of the driver the issues start with; I can tell you how to fix it.

Although the issue is unrelated to the Home Server, XP and Windows Home Server are Windows operating  Systems.

So guys there you have it. I'm off now and back to fine tune that baby (Windows Home Server)

Kind regards.

Eman.

I'm not an IT professional, I just love computers;

Saturday, February 28, 2009 3:00 PM
  • In case others have this issue, I discovered what was causing my issue of not being able to connect to the WHS. It was my Win Mobile phone plugged into the client computer. When phone is plugged in, cannot connect to WHS, when it is unplugged, I can - reproducible every time.

Phone:
    Pocket PC - HTC Mogul (Sprint) with latest Windows Mobile OS and patches

WHS:
    HP MediaSmart Server EX487

When phone is plugged in, I can see my fodlers on the server with Windows Explorer, I just can't connect the WHS Console. When I plug the phone in, Microsoft Active Sync v.4.5.0 starts.  If I try to connect, I get an error popup.

ERROR:
    This computer cannot connect to your home server. Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on. If your home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes.

Looking in My Network Connections window, two 'Local Area Connection' appear of type 'LAN or High-Speed Internet'. I think this somehow confuses the WHS Connector. I am not technical enough to undestand why or find a workaround. If anyone understands better and has some explanation and/or steps to have the two co-exist peacefully, please let us know.

Thanks.
    Razvan Neagu
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 1:30 AM
  • Hi Everyone,
        OK, I just started having the connection problem. My WHS and client computer have been working perfectly up until this point (although, I did notice that if I reboot the WHS computer and wait for it to come back up, I don't have access to the shared folders from the client system - I have to reboot the client to get access to the shares again).

Anyway, tried to connect to the WHS last night and got the "Could not connect" error. Ran discovery.exe and it joiined...still couldn't connect. Then tried re-installing the connector from the WHS software folder, still unable to connect (both times, though, it did say installation and join was successful).

I can PING server and it returns fine, and WHS is still backing up that client (it ran a successful backup last night).

I can also connect to both the WHS and client machine from my homeserver URL.

I tried connecting to the WHS with Remote Desktop from the client and it worked fine. So, it sounds like something with the Connector software on the client.

So, I don't know where to go from here...does this sound like more of a problem on the client? Just wondering since the WHS can still connect and back up the client.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

-David
    Monday, April 13, 2009 5:22 PM
  • Hi,

Incase you are looking for some other way of fixing this error. For me the issue has been the .net 3.5 framework service pack 1. I posted a question on the MSDN forums here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whshardware/thread/e7734df1-ddfc-47e6-97b8-c7aabcddb75b?lc=1033

Overall you may find it interesting reading.
    In any case my home server has been stable for a couple of months, then wham the dreaded cannot connect error. Having forgotten i had these issues I tried reinstalling the connection software. Unfortunately it would not install - same error message. 
    So i looked up what i did last time. I uninstalled the service pack - installed the connector then allowed the service pack to install again. Uninstalling the service pack fixes my Homeserver/home website. Installation of my connection software then proceeds happily; finally the service pack reinstalls and breaks my web site again. Since everything appeared to be working i left it broken.
    So what happened today? No Idea. I looked at the software and there were no recent updates listed in add remove programs. I don’t use any add ins. But the same fix worked. Uninstall the, net 3.5 framework SP1. Reinstall the connection software. Brilliant!!
    If anyone wants to hazard a guess why SP1 breaks my home server web site that would be great. It would be cool if someone could confirm that the installation of the connection software hits those web services that would be cool to. Although the troubleshooting tool kind of confirms that any way.  

Thursday, May 14, 2009 12:42 AM
  • The solution I found to this problem is to change my DNS server from one uses "DNS Redirection" to a "clean" DNS server (change this in your router).

For example, mine started failing with Time Warner after they implemented redirection:

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Time-Warner-Cable-To-Employ-DNS-Redirection-89282

So, I started putting my server IP into the HOSTS file.

However, this doesn't work if you are trying to RESTORE a computer since you can not modify the HOSTS file.  So, I found that I had to switch from OpenDNS which also uses DNS Redirection to 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 which are known public dns which is "clean".

After I did this, my RESTORE which was failing with CAN NOT CONNECT DUE TO NETWORK ERROR immediately went away.

You can tell this by trying to PING your server.  In my case, PING SERVER resolved to some public IP instead of my local 192.168.1.X address.

John
    Monday, August 31, 2009 1:57 AM
  • The solution I found to this problem is to change my DNS server from one uses "DNS Redirection" to a "clean" DNS server (change this in your router).

For example, mine started failing with Time Warner after they implemented redirection:

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Time-Warner-Cable-To-Employ-DNS-Redirection-89282

So, I started putting my server IP into the HOSTS file.

However, this doesn't work if you are trying to RESTORE a computer since you can not modify the HOSTS file.  So, I found that I had to switch from OpenDNS which also uses DNS Redirection to 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 which are known public dns which is "clean".

After I did this, my RESTORE which was failing with CAN NOT CONNECT DUE TO NETWORK ERROR immediately went away.

You can tell this by trying to PING your server.  In my case, PING SERVER resolved to some public IP instead of my local 192.168.1.X address.

John

Awesome. Worked for me. As soon as I changed DNS servers away from OpenDNS, everything started working again.
    Monday, September 21, 2009 1:46 PM
  • Hi Rouza, I am having the same problem described by SKHammerly, that I get  the message below when trying to install the WHS connector.

I'd like to try installing the connector from the server, using the share \\servr\software\Home Server Connector Software but I don't know how to access this folder from the computer I am using, which I am assuming that is how it is supposed to work...

Some facts...

I have the WHS s/w installed on 3 other wireless computers and I can connect to the server no problem
    I recently bought a new router Linksys WRT160Nv2
    The computer I am having problems with is the only one hardwired to the router.
    I can ping the server IP address, but I can't ping the server name from the computer giveng me the problems...

.Any help you could provide would be much appreciated...

Thanks...

John

John
    I had the same problem, and it didnt dawn on me what had happened until I read these posts. Good work all, helped me too.
    • Proposed as answer by byronomo Friday, October 1, 2010 9:38 PM
    Monday, October 12, 2009 9:34 PM
  • I've been having this same problem for a long time....for me, the work around is so frighteningly simple that I'm guessing that it doesn't work for everyone...but here goes:

When you start the console (for me) my password already populates the password field (masked, of course).   If I simply hit "Enter" or just mouse click on the button to enter the password, I get the error.

However, if I click the mouse at the end of my entered password (as though I'm going to enter more characters at the end) and then mouse click the arrow button, I don't get the error.

Strange, but it's been behaving like this since I installed the connector on this machine:  HP Core i7, Windows Home Premium 64bit.

Friday, October 1, 2010 9:43 PM
  • Here's what worked for me after following a lot of advice that just didn't fix the problem:

Edit the hosts file (See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923947 for method)

Enter the IP address of your home server and the server name (Follow the template that is already in the hosts file)

Save the edited hosts file

That's it. Connected first time after applying the fix.

This is a laptop running W7 64-bit Ultimate. The problem only occurred on this machine, not on any of my 32-bit XP computers.

I use a dedicated IP address for my Server so the router does not dynamically reassign an address each time the router reboots.

Best of luck and have a Merry Christmas.

rbo

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 11:45 PM
  • I just had the same problem for the first time, while trying to setup a new laptop for my wife.

Good luck!

This worked for me.  Worked fine for months just putting the server name in the field.  I had to put an entry in (and create) the hosts file. 

My symptoms were:  Remote desktop connection would ask for password then just fail.  Windows Home Server Console would ask for password then fail.  (both with same message: server not available)

Why does microsoft do these annoying little changes!   This is a product that is supposed to be a simple to use product !

Monday, February 14, 2011 10:09 AM
  • Thanks Ed.

All I had to do was flush dns.

This worked for me.

Sunday, April 17, 2011 4:49 PM
  • I just registered to specifically say a big thankyou to Wutership

Of my 3 lappies, 1 decided all of a sudden that whs console couldn't connect but remote desk could. The nature of whs console is such that i dont log on more than about once a month and in recent weeks I'd installed a new router, a new firewall on this machine and changed the IP on the server because of a conflict with a new TV. So, anyones guess and I'm useless at networks but the other 2 lappies and the tv and dvr all worked. So on the lonely lappie, I cleared the dns cache, re installed the whs console a whole load of times, tried numerous other things but nbg

I didn't even know there was a static hosts file in windows - but as soon as i made an entry for the server - Bingo.

i was put off by a number of concurrent users error but remote accessed the server and closed down a couple of inactive users, dropped back on the offending lappie and all's good

thanks Wutership for taking the time to offer your advice

Respect. 

Sunday, February 3, 2013 8:00 PM
  • I just registered to specifically say a big thankyou to Wutership

Of my 3 lappies, 1 decided all of a sudden that whs console couldn't connect but remote desk could. The nature of whs console is such that i dont log on more than about once a month and in recent weeks I'd installed a new router, a new firewall on this machine and changed the IP on the server because of a conflict with a new TV. So, anyones guess and I'm useless at networks but the other 2 lappies and the tv and dvr all worked. So on the lonely lappie, I cleared the dns cache, re installed the whs console a whole load of times, tried numerous other things but nbg

I didn't even know there was a static hosts file in windows - but as soon as i made an entry for the server - Bingo.

i was put off by a number of concurrent users error but remote accessed the server and closed down a couple of inactive users, dropped back on the offending lappie and all's good

thanks Wutership for taking the time to offer your advice

Respect. 

Sunday, February 3, 2013 8:01 PM
  • I got the same error message on the client. And when I tried to open HomeServerConsole via remote desktop, the process just exited without any error messages. So I used procmon on the server to see what HomeServerConsole.exe was doing. I saw that it open HomeServerConsole.exe.config, but when I opened that file it only contained whitespace. So I renamed it, and then the Console worked again.

I haven't installed anything, or changed anything, on the server lately. The only thing that I can think of that could have caused it is a power outage a couple of days ago. So if anyone else get this error, and the above doesn't help, try temporarily renaming C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\HomeServerConsole.exe.config.

Friday, July 19, 2013 1:07 PM