How to remove the drive with WHS OS on it without reinstalling WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• I have one of the original headless (no video card) HP Media Smart serverss running WHS systems which came with two 500 GB drives.  The thing just sits there for 6+ years now and just works great.  It came time this week to add two new 2TB drives to the other two availlable HD bays.  I did so using the WHS console without issue, everything worked great. 

Now with 4 new TB of space, I wanted to remove the two older 500GB drives.  I did the first one successfully, but when it came time to remove the second one, I noticed the "Remove" option in the WHS console was greyed out.  And it dawned on me that the little Windows Icon on the drive meant the drive had the bootable OS loaded on it.  So here I am wondering with a headless server, no DVD drive in it or video card, and the only way to access it is via remote desktop or the WHS console; how do I "move" the system files to the two new disk and successfully remove this older disk currently using the OS system files? 

Am  I stuck?

Monday, February 27, 2012 1:11 AM

Answers

• You can't remove it. You can replace it and then use the server recovery process (you'll find details in the documentation you got with your server) to rebuild it. You may lose your backup database if you do this, however.

I'll point out that, if you're just now needing to add more space to your server, you really don't need to replace the system drive. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by Joe Sinclair Wednesday, August 15, 2012 3:03 AM
    Monday, February 27, 2012 2:23 AM