Server won't start RRS feed

• Question

• I recently put together a server using some old hardware. Here are the specs:

Aopen AX34-U Motherboard
    Intel PIII 1000mhz Processor
    Corsair 620HX Power Supply (620watts)
    768MB total Ram
    ATI Rage 128Pro Video Card
    3COM Network Card
    2-Seagate 500GB IDE Hard Drive
    1-WD 250GB IDE Hard Drive
    2-WD 160GB IDE Hard Drive
    1-Seagate 160GB IDE Hard Drive
    TDK AI-321040X CD Burner
    SIIG SC-PE4B12-S4 IDE Controller Card

The computer will not boot up if all the devices are hooked up. When I disconnect one hard drive and the CD burner, it will boot up, but seems very unwillingly. Is the PSU not large enough? Is there a way to staggard the initial power up of each device? I did not see a setting on the MB's bios, but I may have missed it. Please help. Thanks!

Sunday, January 20, 2008 11:57 PM

All replies

• Depending on the age of the power supply, that may very well be the reason your system can't boot up. I'd say 620 watts would be enough, although each year a powersupply loses a percentage of its output ability. You might have to invest in a new power supply.

But as you mentioned, it is probably just the boot up power requirements that are slogging the power supply. There is a way to stagger SATA drives that I know about, but I do not know if IDE drives support that function.

Good luck on finding a fix.

Monday, January 21, 2008 9:44 AM
  •  

Also, not knowing the exact age of the PSU, it was one of the newer items I had purchased for the server.  I purchased it this month.
    Monday, January 21, 2008 12:41 PM
  • Staggered start-up is, if implemented, an automatic setting in the sata controller. The drives themselves have to support it, and they communicate that info to the controller which then does it's stuff.

It certainly sounds like the PSU, although the size is OK, maybe a bad plug/wire somewhere? Did you try starting with different drives unplugged, rather than just the one, (to check the different wires).

As an aside, this calculator can help re sizing.

Colin

Monday, January 21, 2008 7:04 PM
  • If you have got a new powersupply than something must be malfunctioning/broken. Using that nifty little calculator that was posted, I got around 280 max watts out of your system. Even if we round up to 300, it seems like there should be more than enough. I would try disconnecting each part to check for stability. It might take awhile, but I am almost sure now that something isn't working properly, and that is what is causing the issue.

Monday, January 21, 2008 10:04 PM
  • Jauto, do you by any chance have all your drives daisy-chained off of one Molex connector? If so, it's possible that you're exceeding the capacity of that 12V rail.
    Tuesday, January 22, 2008 1:44 AM
  • Well, got my server up and running.  Don't know why it happens, but this is what I did.  I had the same PSU (Corsair 620HX) in my new Q6600 computer that I built last Xmas, so I swapped the PSU and had the same affects, if not worst.  It would not even turn on; the fans would briefly spin.  I later decided to use my old PSU from my old server, was only a couple of years.  Its an Antec TruPower 2.0 TPII-550, 550W.  Once I hooked everything up, the new server setup booted up smoothly.  The reason why I bought a new PSU was for the modular feature and good experience with the PSU.  Who knows.  Any ideas?

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 4:08 AM