none
I have some newbie questions about Programming in HTML5 with JavaScript and CSS3 RRS feed

• Question

• I have never done anything related to MS certification before, so these are newbie questions. The course is 20480A, and the exam is 70-480.

1. How long would you guess the exam typically takes?

2. How long do you have to wait to find exam results?

3. The course I am taking has free videos and a voucher to take the exam for free. The voucher expires March 31. Does this mean I have to take the exam by then, or just register by then?

4. How detailed do you have to know the information? In other words, do I have to memorize every single HTML5 tag? Do I have to memorize all the weird little things you can do with CSS3?

5. Do you also have to know the older HTML and CSS that was used before HTML5 and CSS3?

6. Do I just have to know the information in the videos? For example, in the videos they don't cover every single new HTML5 tag. So if I know whatever is in the videos, is it enough? Or do I also need to study other materials?

thanks

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 11:50 AM

Answers

• Hi,

First off, welcome to the wonderful world of Microsoft Certifications.

1. The time allotted for an exam varies, but expect a couple of hours.

2. You will receive your results immediately after completing the exam. The testing center will also give you a print-out that has information for you. You should keep this document for your records.

3. I do not have a definite answer for you on this. You probably have to take the exam by then. If you schedule the exam for the end of March you will have that deadline in your head. I know that for me having this date in my head helps me to focus on what I need to learn.

4. You do not need to know every little thing about every tag. You should know the common tags, the typical attributes, patterns, etc.  For a detailed list of topics that may be covered in the exam, take a look at the official page for the exam: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-480 The skills measured tab will give you a list of topics.

5. Since earlier versions of HTML, CSS and JavaScript are the foundations for the new versions, it is reasonable to assume that you will need to know some of this.

6. The jumpstart course is a great foundation. It covers the breadth of topics tha might be covered by the exam. As with any instructor led training, each instructor may focus on some things more than others. Use the skills measured tab as a basic for planning your learning.  Here is what I do.  I print out the skills measured section and then cross out the topics where I am comfortable. Then, for everything left, I will do an online search, find a book, blog, or whatever I need to do to "fill in the gaps" in my knowledge.

Good luck!

Mike Corkery, MCT, MVP (Office Systems), MCSD (Windows Store Apps), MCITP, MCPD, MSF, etc. Please do not forget to click “Vote as Helpful” if any post helps you and "Mark as Answer”if it solves the issue.

• Proposed as answer by Horizon_NetEditor Wednesday, February 13, 2013 5:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by BigDork Thursday, February 14, 2013 6:57 AM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 3:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

First off, welcome to the wonderful world of Microsoft Certifications.

1. The time allotted for an exam varies, but expect a couple of hours.

2. You will receive your results immediately after completing the exam. The testing center will also give you a print-out that has information for you. You should keep this document for your records.

3. I do not have a definite answer for you on this. You probably have to take the exam by then. If you schedule the exam for the end of March you will have that deadline in your head. I know that for me having this date in my head helps me to focus on what I need to learn.

4. You do not need to know every little thing about every tag. You should know the common tags, the typical attributes, patterns, etc.  For a detailed list of topics that may be covered in the exam, take a look at the official page for the exam: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-480 The skills measured tab will give you a list of topics.

5. Since earlier versions of HTML, CSS and JavaScript are the foundations for the new versions, it is reasonable to assume that you will need to know some of this.

6. The jumpstart course is a great foundation. It covers the breadth of topics tha might be covered by the exam. As with any instructor led training, each instructor may focus on some things more than others. Use the skills measured tab as a basic for planning your learning.  Here is what I do.  I print out the skills measured section and then cross out the topics where I am comfortable. Then, for everything left, I will do an online search, find a book, blog, or whatever I need to do to "fill in the gaps" in my knowledge.

Good luck!

Mike Corkery, MCT, MVP (Office Systems), MCSD (Windows Store Apps), MCITP, MCPD, MSF, etc. Please do not forget to click “Vote as Helpful” if any post helps you and "Mark as Answer”if it solves the issue.

• Proposed as answer by Horizon_NetEditor Wednesday, February 13, 2013 5:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by BigDork Thursday, February 14, 2013 6:57 AM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 3:43 PM
  • Thanks for the thorough helpful answer!
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 7:00 AM
  • The exam I want to take (70-480) used to have a special offer for a free voucher that was supposed to be available until March 31. I can no longer find the offer. Does this mean it's no longer available?

thanks

Friday, March 15, 2013 7:45 AM
  • Hi,

I can tell you that the special offer was very popular. They ran out of voucher codes a couple of times and were able to get more. My understanding is that the supply of vouchers is exhausted. Sorry.

You can still take the jump start course though. You can find some information here: http://channel9.msdn.com/Series/Developing-HTML-5-Apps-Jump-Start

Friday, March 15, 2013 1:17 PM