Transfer OS to different drive from backup? (without problem) RRS feed

• Question

• I'm currently using 4x500gb on Intel Rapid Storage (mobo SATA) accelerated with a 30gb SSD as my OS.  Just today, I noticed two of the drives were "offline" in the storage manager console.  I simply clicked them back online and am verifying the data. (Perhaps my googlefu is weak today but I can't find a good reason why they would go offline)

My question, though, is if I want to transfer my OS to a different drive, is it safe to assume that if I do a USB key, image reload will everything be exactly the same with the exception of the actual disk?

Sunday, October 30, 2011 12:20 PM

All replies

• Suggest you read the online documentation first but fundamentally C: & D: will be erased and the method of restoring D: is from a backup:

Backup & Restore
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Sunday, October 30, 2011 2:38 PM
  • Thanks, but I'm not sure why D: matters.  I currently have two hard drives - C: (OS) and S: a collection of drives pooled under Drive Bender.  Thus, I know C: will be erased - which isn't a concern since it will be a new drive anyway - an SSD instead of a collection of old 500gb SATAs RAIDed together.  One SSD will be more reliable than 4 of those drives together.

Of course, there will be some gymnastics with Drive Bender.  But...back to my question, does System Image restore function just like other images - everything is exactly as it was previously - settings, passwords, down to the icons or is it more of a "new install"?

Sunday, October 30, 2011 10:54 PM