none
problem with WHS installation help please RRS feed

• Question

• ok here is the thing i have 2 200GB hard drives that i have on raid0 when i try to install it tells me that there arent any compatible hard drives so i load the raid drivers and it goes through the process when it gets to the format process it just hangs there and the status bar does not move i have tryed takeing it off the raid array but every time i get to that after it copys the installation files i get the bluescreen what do i do i have a biostar GEFORCE 6100-M9 motherboard any sugjestions on how to fix my problem
    Wednesday, January 30, 2008 11:16 PM

All replies

• Punctuation helps us understand your question Smile

First, MS does not support WHS on RAID arrays. What is the text of the bluescreen error you get when you try without using RAID?

Thursday, January 31, 2008 5:02 AM
  •  Sik One wrote:
    ok here is the thing i have 2 200GB hard drives that i have on raid0 when i try to install it tells me that there arent any compatible hard drives so i load the raid drivers and it goes through the process when it gets to the format process it just hangs there and the status bar does not move i have tryed takeing it off the raid array but every time i get to that after it copys the installation files i get the bluescreen what do i do i have a biostar GEFORCE 6100-M9 motherboard any sugjestions on how to fix my problem

Disable the RAID in the bios settings.

Be sure to load proper drivers upon installation as needed.
    Thursday, January 31, 2008 1:39 PM
  • I agree with the recommendation to break the array. RAID 0 is an excellent way to lose data (statistically it's less reliable than the least reliable disk in the array), and should generally only be used when it's possible to recreate the content on the array without a lot of effort, or when performance is such an overriding consideration that data loss is a minor issue.

That said, you should be able to install on the array. From what you've written, you may not be supplying drivers at all the appropriate times. You need to do so twice:
    • Once is at the beginning of setup, during the initial graphical portion.
    • Then after the server reboots for the first time and starts into Windows Server 2003 text mode setup, you need to supply drivers again (on floppy) at the "Press F6" prompt.
    Thursday, January 31, 2008 3:30 PM
  • the blue screen i get its the psysical memory dump blue screen i dont recal the error message number though. it seems to be working now but then when it says finalizing installation i get error code 0x80070003
    Thursday, January 31, 2008 6:02 PM
  • Do you have another operating system disk you can test the install with? It'd be helpful to know if it's just WHS.

Also, do you have an IDE disk you could test with, to remove the SATA controller form the equation?

Thursday, January 31, 2008 6:12 PM
  • That error message can occur if you remove the DVD before the installation is finalised. It needs to be left in the drive right through the re-boots.

Colin

Thursday, January 31, 2008 6:45 PM