Schedule service activity for other users. RRS feed

• Question

• I think the subject sums up my question which is how do you schedule a service activity for other users, I just get an error saying "You cannot unshare this record. The owner of the selected record is the only one allowed to remove others from the share."

Any ideas...

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 11:05 PM

Answers

• When you say "schedule" records, I assume you mean selecting the "schedule" button from the toolbar, correct? 

Can you please provide a list of the exact steps that you are taking on the Service Activity that is owned by a different user so I can test.  I am the Sys Admin and not experiencing a problem using the "Schedule" button for Service Activities that are owned by others.

Thursday, November 6, 2008 3:22 PM

All replies

• It appears that you are using the share feature but that is not what  you want.  When scheduling a service activity for another person, you want to make that person the resource for the service activity.  Taking this action will schedule that person's time for the service activity.

Thursday, November 6, 2008 12:29 AM
  • Thank you for the response Donna.

If I set the resource to the user I want to plan for this will schedule that persons time for the service activity as you have mentioned; but the activity remains against the record owner,.

For example, if I was planning a service activity schedule for 3 other users then all the service activities would appear on ‘My Activities’ and not the users that I’m planning for.

If I make the resource also the record owner, then I can’t schedule service activities for them because I get the error above.

Do you think it’s possible to do what I’m trying to do here, that is if you understand my explanation?

Mark

Thursday, November 6, 2008 10:14 AM
  • You need to ensure you have full rights to assign and share activities and also to Append and Append To any records that you are associating with the Service Activity like Contacts or Accounts.  This should allow you to assign activities and share them without issue.

Thursday, November 6, 2008 10:40 AM
  • My security role is system administrator, dose this not have all the rights that you spoke about above?

Thursday, November 6, 2008 12:22 PM
  • Yes, Sys Admin has all the rights you need. 

• You should be able to add resources to Service Activities which will schedule the resource's time
    • Assign the Service Activity to a different owner which will move the Activity from your view to the new Owner's view
    • Share the activity with whomever you want to share it, which will allow people to see the Activity who may have not been able to see it because they are in a different business unit or have some other restricted rights.

Thursday, November 6, 2008 1:27 PM
  • So in short you cannot schedule a record were you are not the owner of that record, but you can schedule your own record then assign that record to any user you wish.

Thursday, November 6, 2008 2:02 PM
  • Is that the behaviour you are experiencing:

Hope this helps,

Thursday, November 6, 2008 2:20 PM
  • I am able to assign records to other users, I would just like to schedule records were I’m not the owner.

Thursday, November 6, 2008 2:24 PM
  • When you say "schedule" records, I assume you mean selecting the "schedule" button from the toolbar, correct? 

Can you please provide a list of the exact steps that you are taking on the Service Activity that is owned by a different user so I can test.  I am the Sys Admin and not experiencing a problem using the "Schedule" button for Service Activities that are owned by others.

Thursday, November 6, 2008 3:22 PM