none
My first cert! RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking to get certified but I don't know which one I should take first.  I am new to the IT world and would like to start getting my certifications.

Thanks

Monday, May 10, 2010 10:54 PM

Answers

• Definitely go after Net+ and A+. Those are the best places to start. They really form the foundation for the rest of your certs that you might want to get. CompTIA is a great like non-profit organization and they provide great resources for the testing and just support of IT professionals in general.
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 8:58 PM
  • If you're totally new to IT, you might want to take a look at some of the non-vendor specific certifications from CompTIA to start off with - perhaps A+, Network+, Server+ and/or Security+.  Having a strong foundation on the basics of hardware and networking is always a good start.
    Monday, May 10, 2010 10:58 PM
    Answerer
  • Yeah go CompTIA for one of the "plus" exams like Net+ A+ or Security+.
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 9:04 PM
  • The comptia A+ test was not that hard. I have to retake the Network + Exam myself. The mininium passing score for the N10-004 has been revamped from the previous exam. Ive found a lot of security questions that the previous exam did not have. Kinda of my fault for waiting too long to take the test. However, Ive found an extremly detailed and very good book that I recommend. Sybex Network + Certification Kit. You get three books plus many simulation and testing question. Going to retake the test when finished with this kit, then finally start he MCSA exam for server 2003.  Just be sure to have $200-250 available for each test....

Thursday, May 13, 2010 1:21 AM

All replies

• If you're totally new to IT, you might want to take a look at some of the non-vendor specific certifications from CompTIA to start off with - perhaps A+, Network+, Server+ and/or Security+.  Having a strong foundation on the basics of hardware and networking is always a good start.
    Monday, May 10, 2010 10:58 PM
    Answerer
  • Definitely go after Net+ and A+. Those are the best places to start. They really form the foundation for the rest of your certs that you might want to get. CompTIA is a great like non-profit organization and they provide great resources for the testing and just support of IT professionals in general.
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 8:58 PM
  • Yeah go CompTIA for one of the "plus" exams like Net+ A+ or Security+.
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 9:04 PM
  • The comptia A+ test was not that hard. I have to retake the Network + Exam myself. The mininium passing score for the N10-004 has been revamped from the previous exam. Ive found a lot of security questions that the previous exam did not have. Kinda of my fault for waiting too long to take the test. However, Ive found an extremly detailed and very good book that I recommend. Sybex Network + Certification Kit. You get three books plus many simulation and testing question. Going to retake the test when finished with this kit, then finally start he MCSA exam for server 2003.  Just be sure to have $200-250 available for each test....

Thursday, May 13, 2010 1:21 AM
  • I say A+. That's what I did.

Matt

CompTIA A+, Net+
    MCP, MCSE 2003, MCTS
    Friday, May 14, 2010 1:13 AM