Merging HTML help files RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I am trying to improve a compiled html help (.chm) file.  The only stuff I seem to find requires the source files and I only have the chm file.  Can this be done or should I forget the whole idea?

JM

• Moved by Carl Cai Tuesday, August 19, 2014 1:59 AM (from vb.net)not related
    Monday, August 18, 2014 7:50 PM

Answers

• Hello,

This forum is for VB.NET questions and not for working with help files.  You might check out the following on decompiling

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms670132(v=vs.85).aspx

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem.

• Proposed as answer by Carl Cai Tuesday, August 19, 2014 1:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Just Karl Thursday, September 4, 2014 10:36 PM
    Monday, August 18, 2014 9:34 PM

All replies

• Hello,

This forum is for VB.NET questions and not for working with help files.  You might check out the following on decompiling

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms670132(v=vs.85).aspx

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem.

• Proposed as answer by Carl Cai Tuesday, August 19, 2014 1:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Just Karl Thursday, September 4, 2014 10:36 PM
    Monday, August 18, 2014 9:34 PM
  • Hi Kevin

Thanks for your reply.  I currently use visual studio so came here without thinking.  You are right, this is the incorrect place to post this question.  Do you know where would be the appropriate place?  Decompiling is not an option since it does not really decompile.  The decompile option just extracts the content but not the data used that makes the help file work like contents, indexes or the mapping to context ids.  I was hoping not to reinvent the wheel but it appears that I may have to.

JM

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 2:02 PM
  • Hello,

Without the original compiler and project files it is not possible. I have been writing all types of help files mostly in CHM, without the project file and the compiler you simple can not. The actual compiler is critical as third party compilers will inject their own stuff into project files that the native compiler from Microsoft will not understand.

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 2:18 PM