Translator Quality RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I wanted to use the translator api to get all possible german translations for an english word using http://api.microsofttranslator.com/V2/Ajax.svc/GetTranslations.

But when I enter e.g. "run", I'll get the following translations:
    "ausführen
    ausführen
    RUN
    Schläger berührt."

The first word makes sence, but the rest is not usable. Is the quality really so bad or what is maybe wrong? Isn't it based on the same database as Bing Translator, which outputs good translations.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 1:26 PM

All replies

• Hi Dawi,

the GetTranslation() method returns corrections and suggestions for translations of the input text from users of your site and from other sites. You can use the rating and frequency information to decide how trustworthy that suggestion is. Suggestions made on other sites all have a rating of 1, suggestions made on your site have the rating you assigned to it at the time, or, if you used our widget with collaborative functionality, a rating above 5 for suggestions from users of rank "Translator" and above.

You can not assume that a correction made on another site is suitable for your particular context, so you want to pay attention to the ratings. The suggestions are primarily intended to inform you or your users of potential alternative translations.

Hope this helps,
    Chris Wendt
    Microsoft Translator

Monday, August 1, 2011 3:23 PM