Leads, Marketing Lists and Campaigns RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm confused regarding how Leads, marketing lists and campaigns are related in CRM 3.0.

I understand that leads are added to marketing lists which are associated with campaigns.

Q1. How are leads related to marketing lists? In the leads entity, I don't see any relationship with the Marketing List entity.

Q2. In leads there is an attribute Source Campaign. Is this how a lead is added to a campaign? In that case, where does the marketing list come in?

Q3. Can one lead be added to multiple marketing lists (and by extension, campaigns)?

My objective in asking all these questions is:

Q4: How do I add up the total number of leads that are being targeted for a particular campaign?

Thanks for the help.

Friday, June 27, 2008 10:34 AM

Answers

• sorry about that.  Here's a query illustrating the relationship between leads, marketing lists, and campaigns.

This will return the leadid, the marketing list it is on, and the campaigns that it is associated with.  You can just adapt it to count

SELECT FilteredLead.leadid, FilteredList.listname, FilteredCampaign.name

FROM FilteredLead INNER JOIN

FilteredListMember ON FilteredLead.leadid = FilteredListMember.entityid INNER JOIN

FilteredList ON FilteredListMember.listid = FilteredList.listid INNER JOIN

FilteredCampaignItem ON FilteredList.listid = FilteredCampaignItem.entityid INNER JOIN

FilteredCampaign ON FilteredCampaignItem.campaignid = FilteredCampaign.campaignid

Monday, June 30, 2008 10:40 AM

All replies

• 1. leads are related to campaigns.  It's not a configurable relationship, so you probably won't see it in the customize entities.

2.  The source campaign attribut is related to campaigns via a campaign response.  Say you have a campaign to hold a webinar about a new product, when somebody attends the webinar, you can create a campaign response for that person saying that they attended, and you can convert campaign responses into several types of records.  One of these types is a lead, and if you do that, the source campaign will be set to that campaign.  Alternitively you can manually set the source campaign on leads to tie them to their source.  The idea is that when the lead gets converted, the source campaign classification sticks with it through the whole process, so when you convert to an opportunity, the source campaign of the lead becomes the source campaign of the opportunity, and when you close an opportunity associated with a campaign, the revenue from that sale gets added to the revenue associated with that campaign.

3.  Yes, you can add leads to multiple marketing lists, and the same marketing list can be associated with multiple campaigns; however, one lead can only have one source campaign.  There can only be one campaign that was the source of your relationship with that customer.  You can always see the campaigns that the lead has been targeted for by going to that record and clicking on the navigation bar link for campaigns.  Also, hopefully after the lead is involved in one campaign, if there is truly interest in your products and services, you will convert it from a lead to an account, contact and opportunity.  There are dangers in keeping potential customer information in leads for extended periods of time--there are certain pieces of data, such as notes, that do not convert over when you convert a lead to an account, contact and opportunity, so you can lose data if you accumulate a lot of history associated with a lead record, and also there is no real duplicate detection between leads and other entities so that if someone is working with a potential customer on a lead record and somebody else is talking to them on a contact record, you will get a lot of duplication in the system.  My recommendation is to use leads only for a starting point, qualify or disqualify, then get them into your pipeline with accounts, contacts and opportunities.  Accounts and Contacts have a "relationship type" field, so you can easily distinguish between accounts that are clients and accounts that are prospects.   

4.  You can add up the total number of leads that are being targeted for a particular campaign by looking at the marketing lists associated with them.  To get a total by lead, a simple SRS custom report would be required.

Sunday, June 29, 2008 11:21 AM
  • Hi Joel,

Thanks for your reply. You've answered everything, except my last (and most important) question. Smile

For the report to find the total no of leads targeted for a particular campaign, which entities should I be looking at to query? It seems the Marketing List entity has no relationships with Campaign or Leads entities.

But I see a MemberCount attribute, which counts the no of members in the marketing list. This seems a bit unusual to me. Isn't a count usually obtained by counting the no of records rather than a value in itself?

Thanks.

Monday, June 30, 2008 10:10 AM
  • sorry about that.  Here's a query illustrating the relationship between leads, marketing lists, and campaigns.

This will return the leadid, the marketing list it is on, and the campaigns that it is associated with.  You can just adapt it to count

SELECT FilteredLead.leadid, FilteredList.listname, FilteredCampaign.name

FROM FilteredLead INNER JOIN

FilteredListMember ON FilteredLead.leadid = FilteredListMember.entityid INNER JOIN

FilteredList ON FilteredListMember.listid = FilteredList.listid INNER JOIN

FilteredCampaignItem ON FilteredList.listid = FilteredCampaignItem.entityid INNER JOIN

FilteredCampaign ON FilteredCampaignItem.campaignid = FilteredCampaign.campaignid

Monday, June 30, 2008 10:40 AM
  • Ah yes! The ListMember entity is what alluded me. Thanks Joel. Very helpful!

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 1:08 AM