Uninstalling One care live RRS feed

• Question

• I want to uninstall this program so I can reinstall it. I've tried to do this by going to add/remove programs but it isn't listed despite it telling me in the security centre that its running. I've tried running the removal tool but it refuses to run saying I need administrator priviledges - I'm running it on an administrator account - any help gratefully received!
    gav
    Friday, October 3, 2008 6:29 PM

Answers

• The cleanup tool should not be run before OneCare is uninstalled through the normal procedure. But if OneCare doesn’t appear on the add/remove programs list, then uninstalling isn’t an option. In the “good old days” we would often solve this problem by reinstalling the program, which would write its entry back into the add/remove programs list. But in every case I’ve seen, OneCare refuses to reinstall if the program isn’t fully uninstalled. So it seems like the only thing to do here would be to try the cleanup tool. On a Vista system, you need to download the cleanup tool to the desktop, and then right-click on it, and select “Run as Administrator”.

If reinstalling isn’t successful, then you’ll need to contact OneCare Support: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

GreginMich

Saturday, October 4, 2008 2:47 AM

All replies

• gav7,

Thank you for visiting the Windows Live OneCare program forum.

See the cleanup tool at the following link:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2

I hope this assists you.

Thank you for contacting the Live OneCare program forum.

Rick, MS

Friday, October 3, 2008 9:17 PM
  • The cleanup tool should not be run before OneCare is uninstalled through the normal procedure. But if OneCare doesn’t appear on the add/remove programs list, then uninstalling isn’t an option. In the “good old days” we would often solve this problem by reinstalling the program, which would write its entry back into the add/remove programs list. But in every case I’ve seen, OneCare refuses to reinstall if the program isn’t fully uninstalled. So it seems like the only thing to do here would be to try the cleanup tool. On a Vista system, you need to download the cleanup tool to the desktop, and then right-click on it, and select “Run as Administrator”.

If reinstalling isn’t successful, then you’ll need to contact OneCare Support: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

GreginMich

Saturday, October 4, 2008 2:47 AM
  •  

Thanks for the help - one care would just not uninstall in any other way - I had tried running the uninstall tool before from the download folder but when it came up as "run as an administrator" the button confirming this action was greyed out. Fortunately running it from the desktop appeared to sort that for some bizzarre reason! Anyway all sorted now - I suspect my original problem occured as a result of a HDD cloning.
    Saturday, October 4, 2008 1:16 PM