Added Disk via Console >shows right amount of space >but still out of diskspace! RRS feed

• Question

• What is that? I have a WHS with 2x 80 GB IDE disks running fine. Default installation, no customizing at all to this stage (RC2 with all Windows Updates by default).

Then mounted a 250 GB SATA drive into it via a SATA-PCI-adapter. Loaded the VIA driver, then the disk gets recognized by the OS. Then opening WHS console, added the disk and on the right pane the diagram shows plus 200 something free disk space.

Then I copied for testing a couple of large backup files into one of the default shares (here: Video). The xcopy job stopped at some stage saying not enough free diskspace.

When looking on the D: drive properties via the Windows Explorer, it shows just a total size of 56 GB and a free size of about 7 GBs. The same time the MMC disk manager shows two volumes called DATA. One with 80 GB and a drive letter (DSmile and one with 250 GB and no drive letter.

What is wrong here? Why get the fresh 250 GB not used? (btw, I disabled the duplicate feature for the Video share).

Saturday, July 28, 2007 4:00 PM

Answers

• Evening,

You've come across the reason Microsoft recommend that your system disk should be as large as possible!

C is your System drive, while D is the data drive where the Shared folders and your transferred files are being ''staged'. In your case, the maximum that can be transfered, is 7GB. That wouldn't just be the file,s but include the associated info that WHS uses.  WHS will then migrate these files across the available drives -using Drive Extender- and then more files can be transfered to WHS. In all probability, in your case, it will transfer all the files to the space on your new drive and just leave the 'tombstones' (file markers,) in the D partion.

The reason that your new drive doesn't have a drive letter, is because WHS sees everything after C: as storage, named D and will distribute data across the physical drives within this storage pool.

The 'easy' way out for you, would be to rebuild with the 250GB drive as your system drive.

HTH,

Colin

Saturday, July 28, 2007 5:30 PM