Crashed SYS Drive RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have WHS installed on a server I built and it has been running super for almost one year.  The server has three 500 BG Seagate hard drives installed and the storage pool is about one half full and all shares are duplicated.  I have also installed Power Pack 1.  The bad news is that the system drive (C:) crashed and is totally unusable, not even Seagate’s Seatools can detect the thing.

Where can I find the documented procedure required to “recover” the system volume onto a new, bare drive and leave all the data intact and, of course, not lose anything.  I know there must be a way!!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bill Perry

Saturday, November 8, 2008 7:13 PM

Answers

• wjperry said:

I have WHS installed on a server I built and it has been running super for almost one year.  The server has three 500 BG Seagate hard drives installed and the storage pool is about one half full and all shares are duplicated.  I have also installed Power Pack 1.  The bad news is that the system drive (C:) crashed and is totally unusable, not even Seagate’s Seatools can detect the thing.

Where can I find the documented procedure required to “recover” the system volume onto a new, bare drive and leave all the data intact and, of course, not lose anything.  I know there must be a way!!

Bill Perry

It's simple to do.  Just replace the dead primary drive with a new hard drive.  Boot from the WHS DVD and select Server Reinstallation.  It will create a new OS partition, reinstall WHS, and finally re-create all of the "tombstones" needed for all of the data stored on the server.  (NOTE:  The last step can take quite a while and it may appear to be frozen.  Do not interrupt the process, just let it run.)  Once it's complete and you have the WHS Welcome screen, first thing to do is to go through the setup process, then update your server with all critical updates.  Keep checking for updates until it says there are no updates for WHS available.  Once that's done, all that's left to do is re-create users and re-install add-ins.

If you don't get Server Reinstallation as an option when you boot from the DVD, don't go any further because the other option (New Installation) will wipe everything from all of your drives.
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 7:19 PM

All replies

• wjperry said:

Bill Perry

It's simple to do.  Just replace the dead primary drive with a new hard drive.  Boot from the WHS DVD and select Server Reinstallation.  It will create a new OS partition, reinstall WHS, and finally re-create all of the "tombstones" needed for all of the data stored on the server.  (NOTE:  The last step can take quite a while and it may appear to be frozen.  Do not interrupt the process, just let it run.)  Once it's complete and you have the WHS Welcome screen, first thing to do is to go through the setup process, then update your server with all critical updates.  Keep checking for updates until it says there are no updates for WHS available.  Once that's done, all that's left to do is re-create users and re-install add-ins.

If you don't get Server Reinstallation as an option when you boot from the DVD, don't go any further because the other option (New Installation) will wipe everything from all of your drives.
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 7:19 PM
  • Thanks for the quick answer.  Your ight, it sounds simple.  When I apply the critical upadtes, will that include the Power Pack or will I need to download that separate as I did before?

When the new drive comes in in a couple of days I will post how it went, or ask more questions.

Thanks a million,

Bill Perry

Saturday, November 8, 2008 7:36 PM
  • wjperry said:

Thanks for the quick answer.  Your ight, it sounds simple.  When I apply the critical upadtes, will that include the Power Pack or will I need to download that separate as I did before?

When the new drive comes in in a couple of days I will post how it went, or ask more questions.

Thanks a million,

Bill Perry

Yes, Power Pack 1 will be part of the critical updates.  You want to keep updating/rebooting your server until all of the component numbers are 6.0.1800.0, except Drive Extender which should be 6.0.1800.8.
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 7:43 PM
  • Btw. - some of the data (backup, non duplicated folders) may be lost, since the machine has been built pre Power Pack 1. After PP1 WHS tries to keep the primary disk clean from data, but does not move away files, which have already been stored there before.
    Sometimes it helps to cool the disk down in refrigerator and then connect it to another system.
    With some luck you can still access the hidden folder DE\shares on the DATA partition and copy some files over from here.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 7:48 PM