Blocked VLK RRS feed

• Question

• I don't know why my VLK is blocked. I bought this computer with Windows XP installed. Here are my diagnostics results:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0039.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Cached / Grace status: N/A, N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-FHW3D-8HKDY-JQ8VR
    Windows Product Key Hash: dm6UP8dYsmc9A+AzDigesQP1jiw=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-646-9937617-23201
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.0.0.pro
    ID: {E29A7A40-B810-46BC-94BB-6F3141D2E3DB}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    Commit / Reboot / BRT: N/A, N/A, N/A
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-2993-80070002_B4D0AA8B-470-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control:
    Active scripting:
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting:

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{E29A7A40-B810-46BC-94BB-6F3141D2E3DB}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0039.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.0.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-JQ8VR</PKey><PID>55274-646-9937617-23201</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-299502267-1004336348-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Model>Dimension 4300               </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Version>A02</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20010910******.******+***</Date></BIOS><HWID>CE6D37D70184C04E</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

------------------------------------

I don't know about my COA. I've moved several times since I got this computer and don't know where it is.

I would appreciate any advise/assistance. Thanks.

Sunday, July 1, 2007 6:07 PM

Answers

• A "Blocked VLK" is a Volume License Key that is valid, but was licensed solely to a corporation or larger enterprise/business. Blocked VLK's are Product Keys that Microsoft has received consent from the original owner to block usage of. A VL Product Key is non-transferrable to individuals. In order to resolve your non-genuine licensing issue, please visit: www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, click on the Get Genuine button which will provide information on your options which include how to acquire a WGA Kit.

Sunday, July 1, 2007 6:31 PM
  • Thanks for the quick response. From what I had read I had gathered that that was the problem, although I don't understand how that could happen since I bought this computer directly from the (big name) manufacturer. I don't understand why I have to pay $149.00 now when they told me Windows was included with the purchase. 

Anyway, thanks.

Sunday, July 1, 2007 6:44 PM
  • Dell does not sell Volume License versions of Windows XP.  They only sell OEM versions.  You can use your original Dell Windows XP Reinstallation CD to reinstall the properly licensed version of Windows XP that shipped with your Dell computer.
    Sunday, July 1, 2007 8:00 PM
  • You might be able to restore original OEM OS (assuming you none-genuine OS was installed later on without your knowledge, say by computer technician). Check out this thread on how to proceed with OS restoration. If you suspect you got this OS from the manufacturer you have options from calling the manufacturer and demanding genuine software you’ve purchased to checking COA and media and reporting it here.

Sunday, July 1, 2007 8:10 PM
  • JudyBlue,

Your best option is to contact Dell tech support or customer service and ask them to send you a Dell Operating System reinstallation CD for about $15 shipped (assuming that the one that came with the computer has been misplaced).

Follow the instructions at http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&docid=D06EBD52BFC6AB88E030A68F272860BF&journalid=B49D22EE284A11DC8F1B8F1D4DB2AFC6&l=en&s=gen to replace the nongenuine current installation of XP with the Genuine XP from Dell.  Be sure to back up your important data and offload it from the computer before you do the clean installation.

Finally, update your drivers from this page:  http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&ServiceTag=&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_4300&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

Monday, July 2, 2007 3:21 AM
  • Juday,

Dan has given some great advice and I would follow it. Also has your computer ever been taken in for service to a local computer repair facility?  There have been many times we have heard of similiar situations which you are in after the computer was repaired. The customer either took in original software and/or forgot and either way recieved the system with a non-genuine computer. This may not have been noticed for a long time due to various reasons. If your interested you may submit a piracy report should this be the situation. We hope all works out for you :-).

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Monday, July 2, 2007 8:26 PM

All replies

• A "Blocked VLK" is a Volume License Key that is valid, but was licensed solely to a corporation or larger enterprise/business. Blocked VLK's are Product Keys that Microsoft has received consent from the original owner to block usage of. A VL Product Key is non-transferrable to individuals. In order to resolve your non-genuine licensing issue, please visit: www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, click on the Get Genuine button which will provide information on your options which include how to acquire a WGA Kit.

Sunday, July 1, 2007 6:31 PM
  • Thanks for the quick response. From what I had read I had gathered that that was the problem, although I don't understand how that could happen since I bought this computer directly from the (big name) manufacturer. I don't understand why I have to pay $149.00 now when they told me Windows was included with the purchase. 

Anyway, thanks.

Sunday, July 1, 2007 6:44 PM
  • Dell does not sell Volume License versions of Windows XP.  They only sell OEM versions.  You can use your original Dell Windows XP Reinstallation CD to reinstall the properly licensed version of Windows XP that shipped with your Dell computer.
    Sunday, July 1, 2007 8:00 PM
  • You might be able to restore original OEM OS (assuming you none-genuine OS was installed later on without your knowledge, say by computer technician). Check out this thread on how to proceed with OS restoration. If you suspect you got this OS from the manufacturer you have options from calling the manufacturer and demanding genuine software you’ve purchased to checking COA and media and reporting it here.

Sunday, July 1, 2007 8:10 PM
  • JudyBlue,

Your best option is to contact Dell tech support or customer service and ask them to send you a Dell Operating System reinstallation CD for about $15 shipped (assuming that the one that came with the computer has been misplaced).

Follow the instructions at http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&docid=D06EBD52BFC6AB88E030A68F272860BF&journalid=B49D22EE284A11DC8F1B8F1D4DB2AFC6&l=en&s=gen to replace the nongenuine current installation of XP with the Genuine XP from Dell.  Be sure to back up your important data and offload it from the computer before you do the clean installation.

Finally, update your drivers from this page:  http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&ServiceTag=&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_4300&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

Monday, July 2, 2007 3:21 AM
  • Juday,

Dan has given some great advice and I would follow it. Also has your computer ever been taken in for service to a local computer repair facility?  There have been many times we have heard of similiar situations which you are in after the computer was repaired. The customer either took in original software and/or forgot and either way recieved the system with a non-genuine computer. This may not have been noticed for a long time due to various reasons. If your interested you may submit a piracy report should this be the situation. We hope all works out for you :-).

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Monday, July 2, 2007 8:26 PM
  • This WGA is a real pain.  A close so-called friend of mine built me a simple system for me to do an Open University degree on. It was only cheap since Im unemployed and doing the degree to make better of my life.  What i didn't know was he installed a copied version of XP with SP1 and Office 2000.  Everything was fine untill SP2 installed an WGA started giving me fun and games.  I thought nothing of it untill i tried to do updates. After wasting many hours researching WGA, when I should have been studying, trying to find a solution, I came up with diddly squat.  Over here in the UK they want near £100 for the WGA kit. How many people in my situation can afford that?  Add on the fact that I spent nearly 2 hours searching the Microsoft website so I could e-mail them about the problem. And guess what? I couldn't even fnd a simple link to e-mail. What a waste of time. So thanks Microsoft for absolutely nothing. Incidentaly, I failed my degree in Law solely because of the time I had spent trying to sort this out.  Micorsoft, you need to simplify you website for PC virgins like myself. Next time, I'm going to Linux.  Oh, my friend also disappeared shortly after i found out about WGA and broke his nose.
    Tuesday, July 3, 2007 11:01 PM
  • G,

Sorry to hear about the situation you are experiencing. As far as assigning blame on MS I would assign the blame on who built the computer system. Since you are studying law I am sure you know about copyright issues.  People think they are getting a great deal and realize after the fact a good deal really isn't what it appears to be. The only alternative is for you to purchase the WGA And OGA Kit which would resolve the current situation. In the future use http://www.live.com. This is MS search engine.  Next type in what you are looking for and you will save immense amount of time allowing you more study time. 

G I wish there was something else I may offer to help but there isn't. If we may be of further assistance please don't hesitate re-posting.  Have a great weekend.

Cheers :-)

Stephen Holm, MS
    OGA and WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, July 3, 2007 11:44 PM