Badly printed keycode in Onecare new purchase RRS feed

• Question

• Thanks Onecare..tried to update my subscription with a new purchase...as the sale price at retail outlets far outweighs any inconvienence of the new install...$49.95 vs $19.99.  My complaint though, is the printing on the keycode. It ran into the barcode and I entered what I thought to be the correct code and everytime, is said it was incorrect. I tried at least 9 different versions of what the letters appeared to be. Was it a "J", was it a "Q" or an "O" with an ink smudge?  Maybe it was actually a zero.  Perhaps that was a "one", hmmm, maybe not, could be an "I"...or could it really be a "J' because it runs so abominably close to the bar code that you can't decipher it.  Go to back up plan...uninstall and reload with disc.  NOW...how long will my Action message persist that I need to renew? Can someone please redesign the keycode to be printed legibly and make similar letters and numbers clearer, ie: dot in the middle or slash if its a zero, if its a "J" make the tail stay up in the print line?   Would have saved me alot of time...and yes...it was still worth the 30 bucks to have to do this way.  Wake up microsoft...its about Value! 

Monday, February 25, 2008 3:40 PM

Answers

• Sign in at http://billing.microsoft.com to renew your subscription. If you were unable to enter the new code, you haven't yet renewed. If you still can't make out the characters, be sure to contact support.

New install and reinstall are one and the same - both require activation.

When you follow the instructions for opening an email support case, be sure to explain that you are a subscriber and provide details about your problems reading the key.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, February 29, 2008 8:55 PM

All replies

• Did you successfully get the code entered? If you renewed with the code on the Billing site, it can take up to 24 hours to reflect the new status in OneCare. And I hear you about the key code. Smudged is bad, but even when it isn't smudged, I still need a magnifying glass to discern the characters.

-steve

Monday, February 25, 2008 4:26 PM
  •  

Hey thanks for the reply...no, I was never able to get it to enter as the keycode..so I deleted my Onecare and re-installed from the supplied disc.  Left it for 3 days and the red shield never went away...RENEW, RENEW, RENEW....So again tonight I went the reinstall route and it is, of course, still red...so I will give it a couple more days or is there a fix for this problem.  Should I not have done it as a reinstall, just as a completely new install?   I like my Onecare, but help please.  P.S.  Wish there was an 800 number  Sad
    Thursday, February 28, 2008 5:18 AM
  • Sign in at http://billing.microsoft.com to renew your subscription. If you were unable to enter the new code, you haven't yet renewed. If you still can't make out the characters, be sure to contact support.

New install and reinstall are one and the same - both require activation.

When you follow the instructions for opening an email support case, be sure to explain that you are a subscriber and provide details about your problems reading the key.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, February 29, 2008 8:55 PM
  • Thank you so much for your help and expertise.  After many failed attempts....I finally put in the right combination of letters and numbers on the badly printed keycode.  Made sure to write each attempt down and have recorded the correct version for myself.  Thanks again for your advice and help, I am now up to date and activated!!!

Friday, March 7, 2008 7:26 PM
  •  shibalover54 wrote:
    Thank you so much for your help and expertise.  After many failed attempts....I finally put in the right combination of letters and numbers on the badly printed keycode.  Made sure to write each attempt down and have recorded the correct version for myself.  Thanks again for your advice and help, I am now up to date and activated!!!

I'm very glad to read that all is well. The good news is that the only reason you will ever need that code again is if you forget the LiveID for your account. Make sure that you note the subscription LiveID and that is what you will use for reinstalls, activation on another PC, renewals, etc.

-steve

Friday, March 7, 2008 9:16 PM