App question RRS feed

• General discussion

• Say instead of doing a remote desktop to a device, I just want to capture a web cam on that device and stream it to rich client app or web app.  Will they be some api support for this or what bag of apis would I be looking at?  TIA 
    Sunday, July 13, 2008 4:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,

We'll be saying a lot more about the developer side of Live Mesh at PDC in October.  Some of the session information is already up here.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Monday, July 14, 2008 7:32 PM
  • How does handling a live stream from a peripheral mix with the syncing capability of Live Mesh? Doesn't this add a layer of bloat to the product that's really not needed?

I'm all for an easy to use and field tool that can handle a video stream - I could use that myself - but I'm not sure I'd want to see it folded into something like Live Mesh unless it's a really, really close fit in terms of the underlying infrastructure. But the differences in XP and Vista and the other devices being talked about as possible targets, well, I don't think there's really a lot of overlap there.
    Monday, July 14, 2008 7:59 PM
  • I figure it like this.  Mesh is an app platform to make is simple to create apps and connect over wide spaces.  Steaming video and audio is more important App feature.   It handles the complex endpoint part already.  It does RDP already.  So I was thinking that if you could connect and leverage existing new or existing connection, you could connect to other services (i.e. web, web-cam, etc).  Then your not trying to recreate the connection wheel.  I am not saying Mesh should have Web-cam support built in (but that would be nice), but allow an api where we could call or connect with such things on the client(s) - given proper security, etc.

A more generic question would be if your client app uses mesh, will there be some kind of what to connect to tcp ports that app may have open?  That seems like a reasonable thing to need to do for some apps.

William Stacey [MVP]
    • Edited by staceyw Tuesday, July 15, 2008 2:44 AM edit
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 2:38 AM