HP Media Collector will only collect from 1 PC and not the other RRS feed

• Question

• Just installed new HP MediaSmart Server EX485 running WHS version 2.5.10.27311.  The server has two internal drives with lots of empty capacity.  One drive is setup as "server storage" and second drive is setup for "server backup."  Network includes two home PC's running Vista Business SP1 (32bit) and Vista Home Premium SP1 (64bit).  Both PC's are running HP Control Center 2.5.10.27311 and both are enabled in the Media Collector window.  Both PC's have been successfully backed up to the server, so the communications between the PC's and the server are working.

Have two problems:
    1)  Media Collector works as advertised on the PC with Vista Business; photos, music, video, etc. are automatically collected daily and are filed in the correct Shared Folders on the server.  The second PC running Vista Home Premium shows in the HP Media Collector window as "Enabled, no status available" and no media is collected over more than 4 days.  During this same time all media types have been collected from the PC with Vista Business.  How do I get the Media Collector to function with the second PC?
    2)  Shared folders will not "duplicate".  The check box for "duplication" will not access a check.  It simply doesn't function.  When I click on the checkbox, nothing happens.  How can I correct this?

Your help is appreciated.
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 6:31 AM

All replies

• Off the top of my head I don't have an answer for the media aggregation tool, since I don't use that tool in my own media workflow. 

Regarding duplication: If your server has only two drives, then both drives must be in the storage pool in order to enable duplication on any shares. With one drive allocated to server backup, Windows Home Server has only a single drive to work with in the pool, and thus can't duplicate files to two separate physical drives.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 3:10 PM
  • Ken, thank you for the solution to the "duplication" issue.
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 4:44 PM
  • I am encountering the same problem with a slightly different twist as I have Vista Home, XP Home and XP Prof and XP Media Center.

Media Collector works as advertised on the PC with Vista home; XP Home and XP Prof photos, music, video, etc. are automatically collected daily and are filed in the correct Shared Folders on the server.  The PC running XP Media Center shows in the HP Media Collector window as "Enabled, no status available" and no media is collected.  During this same time all media types have been collected from the PC with Vista Home, XP Home and XP Prof.

Any ideas? Manual backups run fine. 

Sunday, July 26, 2009 5:15 PM
  • Did you ever get a response to this media collector problem?  I'm having the same issue and can't get anywhere on it. -John
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 9:28 PM
  • I found the problem with my computers that were not collecting.   The scheduled task on the computer was not set up correctly.  It was set up to run once.  I altered this to run every 3 days at a specific time and bingo.  I'm good.

Go to all programs -> accessories -> system tools -> scheduled tasks

and look for <your id> mediaAgg

Good luck.

Sunday, September 13, 2009 10:03 PM
  • I have a similar situation; the second pc (xp pro) and  the ex495 server collects about 500 or so items and then freezes with the hard drive just thrashing for hours, windows task manager shows cpu usage at 100% and mediacollectorclient.exe chewing up all cpu usage. first pc, (xp pro) went flawlessly. Comments welcome.
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 11:03 PM
  • I have the same problem with Media Collector not collecting -- always the status is "Enabled, No status available". I changed the schedule of the "mediaAgg" task on the PC, but it doesn't seem to have helped.

Anyone have any other ideas on troubleshooting this? I guess it's a question for HP rather than MS, though...
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 7:09 PM