Cannot connect to any site on the internet RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I cannot connect to any sites on the internet from WHS box, which also means Windows Update is not working.  All of the other PCs in the house can connect to the internet and WHS just find.  When I try to navigate to an internet site on WHS I get a message saying something like "Internet Explorer cannot navigate to the page".  I can navigate to other websites in the house, so I think IE is ok.  Also remote access is working just fine, I can connect from to my server from the internet. 

Some things I have tried:
    1) Turning off Windows firewall - no difference
    2) Turning off IE Enhanced Security Configuration - no difference
    3) Installing IE 8 by downloading it from anothing computer - no difference
    4) Running ping to external sites - works
    5) Running nslookup to external sites - works
    6) Running tracert to external sites - works
    7) Running telnet to an external site on port 80 - does not work from WHS, works from other PCs in the house
    8) Running Portable Firefox off a thumb drive - does not work for sites on the internet, works for sites in the house
    9) Rebooting the router - no difference

Does anybody have any ideas as to what is going on or more tests to run?

Thanks.

Matt
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 4:33 PM

Answers

• You have a firewall somewhere (probably your broadband router or modem) which is blocking your server's access to the internet.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 5:58 PM

All replies

• You have a firewall somewhere (probably your broadband router or modem) which is blocking your server's access to the internet.
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 5:58 PM
  • Matt,

were you able to solve this?

I setup a new HP Mediasmart WHS this week, and have the almost identical problem. 

I can access ALL websites I try - EXCEPT Microsoft sites (microsoft, windowsupdate, etc.).  I can even get to bing.com.  I can remote access my server and through it my desktops.

Windows update does not work for me.

Santosh

santosh
    Friday, June 5, 2009 2:46 PM
  • Thanks for your help, I did some testing on my router this weekend and found something interesting.

I ran a test where I:
    1) Reset the router (a D-Link DI604) to factory defaults
    2) Tried to run WHS auto-update and it worked
    3) Did a repair on the Remote Access tab which set up some firewall rules in the DI604
    4) Tried to run auto-update again and it did not work  this time

I don't know enough to say what the firewall in the DI604 is doing, but it looks like after WHS configured it via UPNP, the router firewall stopped WHS from getting to web sites.

I solved the issue by getting a new router, a Linksys BEFSX41, let WHS configure it, and everything seems to be working now.

Matt
    Monday, June 8, 2009 4:33 PM
  • Santosh,

My problem was my router's firewall blocking everything from my WHS machine - I couldn't get to any web site.  Your problem sounds different because you can get to other sites just not Microsoft ones.  Most of my searching recommended to check out Trusted Sites list in IE.

Hope this helps.

Matt
    Monday, June 8, 2009 4:36 PM
  • Probably this means that the D-Link router isn't fully UPnP compliant. Rather than buying a new router, just setting the router to disable UPnP would probably have been fine. :)
    Monday, June 8, 2009 6:09 PM