locked
CRM 4.0 Installation Error Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.ProvisionBusinessAction failed. Could not find GUID for server: <servername> RRS feed

  • Question

  • Dear all,

    I'm trying to install CRM 4.0 on a Windows 2008 R2 Standard 64bit system.

    During the installation I got the following errormessage: "Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.ProvisionBusinessAction failed. Could not find GUID for server: <servername>" Afterwards I cannot run repair.

    The environment diagnostics runs without any problem. The installation account has full control over the Domain OU.

    The whole thing works fine with Windows 2003 inside the same domain, same install CD, same install account (different server of course).

    Does anybody experienced familiar issue? Do you have any hint/tip/solution?

     

    Thanks in advance

     

    Zoltán

    Friday, May 21, 2010 9:34 AM

Answers

  • Hi

    I got it. The following blog gave mi a hint: http://crm.davidyack.com/journal/2007/12/24/active-directory-and-dns-gotcha.html

    In our environment we have Sub-DOM1, Sub-DOM2.

    I wanted to install CRM 4.0 in Sub-DOM2 with account from Sub-DOM1. My guess is that the following case happened:

     

    "Turns out that during the install CRM will do a query to active directory for the setup user.  Active directory if it thinks there might be a subdomain that can answer part of the query AND you specify to chase referral chains on your directory search query request (which CRM appears to do) it will throw an exception telling you that there is more information to process from referral servers and CRM would need to handle that (which it doesn't appear to do very well).  In reality, I believe it was getting the answer back but AD was suggesting that other "servers" could give more details and advising the caller that by throwing the exception.  Only problem was CRM doesn't handle that exception - it just kills the install."

    (from the blog!)

    So I created a sub-dom2 account and then suddenly everything went fine!

    I hope it helps for others.

     

    Cheers,

     

    Zoltán

     

    Friday, May 21, 2010 11:31 AM

All replies

  • Hi

    I got it. The following blog gave mi a hint: http://crm.davidyack.com/journal/2007/12/24/active-directory-and-dns-gotcha.html

    In our environment we have Sub-DOM1, Sub-DOM2.

    I wanted to install CRM 4.0 in Sub-DOM2 with account from Sub-DOM1. My guess is that the following case happened:

     

    "Turns out that during the install CRM will do a query to active directory for the setup user.  Active directory if it thinks there might be a subdomain that can answer part of the query AND you specify to chase referral chains on your directory search query request (which CRM appears to do) it will throw an exception telling you that there is more information to process from referral servers and CRM would need to handle that (which it doesn't appear to do very well).  In reality, I believe it was getting the answer back but AD was suggesting that other "servers" could give more details and advising the caller that by throwing the exception.  Only problem was CRM doesn't handle that exception - it just kills the install."

    (from the blog!)

    So I created a sub-dom2 account and then suddenly everything went fine!

    I hope it helps for others.

     

    Cheers,

     

    Zoltán

     

    Friday, May 21, 2010 11:31 AM
  • I got the same error and there was two domais controllers on the network too.

    I think the problem was solved when I changed  to True the profile of CRM Application Pool how is described by the article:

    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vijaysk/archive/2009/03/08/iis-7-tip-3-you-can-now-load-the-user-profile-of-the-application-pool-identity.aspx

    I hope it helps for others.

    Paulo.


    Menezes
    Saturday, December 11, 2010 10:33 AM