Netbook Backup RRS feed

• Question

• I have had WHS up and running for about 2 weeks now.  Everything works great, except for one of my computers is not getting automatically backed up.
    Its a wireless Dell net book.  I leave it in standby mode with the power cable plugged in but it never gets backed up.  I am able to run manual backups.

Also I am thinking about attaching a 500gb USB harddrive to my WHS.  It has about 150gb of home videos on it.  It was a backup up to my main pc.  My main pc has the original videos on it and are backed up by WHS.  This USB harddrive is not backed up by WHS.  My question is if I hook that up to the WHS can I somehow indicate that I want these videos to go in my Videos share.  As it took me quite a while to transfer all these videos from tape to computer I really like to have mutiple backups.  My WHS computer only has about 60gb of space left and thats why I wanted to attach the 500gb usb hard drive.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 8:56 PM

Answers

• Regarding the netbook, you should take a look at how power saving features are configured. You may also want to try a wired connection for backups.

Regarding the external drive, if all it has on it is files that are on another PC in your house, you can just connect it to your server, then add it to the storage pool. You won't lose anything when Windows Home Server formats it. Then you can copy those files to the server. However, there is no way to have Windows Home Server import data already on a drive into the server storage pool. Also, given the amount of free space you describe, you will probably want to add more than a single drive to your server, so that you won't have a problem with duplication.

If you need to follow up on the external drive, btw, could you please post a new question? The external drive question is completely unrelated to the subject of this thread. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 9:28 PM