Help with home server domain names RRS feed

• Question

• From my old windows home server I have a domain name with TZO. How do I configure the new server to bind to that domain name? The reason I ask is TZO provide DynDNS and I am tied in for another 4 years. Of the two service providers suggested in the remote access section, GoDaddy doesn't provide DynDNS easily and Enom do but do not provide international pricing (I'm in the UK). Some guidance, steps here would be very much appreciated.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 1:02 PM

All replies

• Both GoDaddy and Enom should provide dynamic DNS services for domains you set up for your home server. This is "part of the service" for domains purchased through them, or transferred to them for use on your server. The client is built into Windows Home Server, and should require no extra maintenance on your part.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 1:13 PM
  • Hey Ken,

Thats great information, thanks.  Now i just have to figure out how to transfer my domain to GoDaddy.  Speaking of which, perhaps you can help, if i transfer my domain name, do i lose the monetory value i dropped into TZO by transferring or does it just continue with the new provider?  Forgive my ignorance, im quite new at this.

I also noted there wasn't anything on their site about Dynamic DNS, any thoughts on that?  Is this an agreement Microsoft came up with them seperately?

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 1:38 PM
  • Godaddy will not honor a purchase you made with TZO, no. Why would they?

The specifics of configuring this, and transferring the domain from one vendor to another, aren't something I can help you with, since I'm perfectly happy with a homeserver.com vanity URL. :)

As for dynamic DNS, Windows Home Server remote access requires it (for most people). Very few ISPs issue a static IP address to their residential customers any more, unless you pay extra for it (and it may not be a service they offer at all). So Remote Access without DDNS will work only until your IP address changes, at best. Thus "part of the service" for Windows Home Server remote access.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:16 PM
  • Ok, i follow what you're saying about the DDNS, but what i still dont understand is how it works?  As far as i can tell when your IP changes, the server would have to broadcast the new IP against the Domain Name, so unless there is some sort of client providers such as GoDaddy provide which is built into WHS 2011, then i fail to see how this would be done.  I guess what im after is a detailed understanding of how the process works within WHS2011
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:24 PM
  • On a schedule, your server (or any other DDNS client, such as one that might be built into your router) communicates with the back-end servers. That communication allows the back end server to update your DNS record with the correct IP address for your internet connection. If your IP address changes, at the next scheduled communication so does your IP address, but there will be a window of time where DNS points to your old IP address. (Specifics vary by DDNS provider, but that's the basic handshake required.)

I highly recommend you make use of your search engine of choice, and/or spend some time reading up about some of this on Wikipedia. (i.e. search for obvious search terms before you ask a question in a forum.) These forums are not a place people should come for an education in basic or advanced networking, system building, etc.

• Edited by Ken Warren Tuesday, October 18, 2011 3:15 PM
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 3:14 PM
  • Ken,

I have spent a lot of time on google and have found a lot of information, what i was hoping for was more WHS specific, ie why Microsoft chose the domain venders they did, was their intergration more easily implemented, ie is there a GoDaddy DDNS client built into the OS?  if so how?  Can you add additional venders to the list or are the clients for the two vendors buried deep in the code?  Perhaps im just not asking the question in the right way?

I appreciate you saying to look for an education in other areas of the internet, but as you can appreciate, this is WHS related, i want to understand how the process within the operating system works so i am in a better place to make educated decisions.  If this is not the place to ask such questions perhaps you can point me in the right direction.  Last i checked the internet was very vast and there were many places to ask questions.  I pointer in the right direction would be helpful.

I am not trying to be funny, but i was hoping for a more friendly and helpful response than the one you gave, for example, if you want to setup remote web access have a look here and if you still have a question, please ask:

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/windowshomeserver/archive/2011/06/28/windows-home-server-2011-learning-bites-remote-web-access.aspx

Or yes there is a GoDaddy DDNS client built into the OS which "communicates with the back-end servers" (at GoDaddy?)

I apologise in advance for posting in the wrong place, as i mentioned before im happy to post in another forum where people might be a little more forgiving and patient, just point the way.

Update -

So the latest is, i am currently moving my domain from TZO to GoDaddy. As it turns out GoDaddy only wanted a transfer fee and were willing to retain my remaing time on the domain for nothing (Very nice of them). Add to that a SSL certificate and some whois privacy and you end up with a great package. Another few hours and i'll be able to test the DDNS and see if the client is built into the OS.

If not i may end up having to get a homeserver address and have a cname alias at Godaddy which points to the home server url as based on my reading the homeserver domain does include a DDNS client in the OS.

Regards Adam Jamal (XBOX Lives ONI Assassin) Those who are truly brave will never live in fear
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 3:39 PM
  • "Or yes there is a GoDaddy DDNS client built into the OS which "communicates with the back-end servers" (at GoDaddy?)"

I am going to ask you to look again at my very first post in this thread, where I state that the DDNS client is built into Windows Home Server. The specifics of how your server communicates with GoDaddy vs. eNom vs. Windows Live custom domains (homeserver.com) may vary, but the basic requirement is the same.

As for the general subject, "How does DDNS work?" is interesting if you don't already know, but doesn't really matter in this forum, and isn't "on topic". (It's part of "basic home networking 101 for the technophile." :) ) Wikipedia has a decent article that explains it, however.

"Why is my homeserver.com domain not working?" is something we probably can help you with, if/when you reach that point, but I will warn you that most users have stuck with the homeserver.com vanity URL precisely because trying to figure out how to set up a domain through GoDaddy et al. is not trivial. I stuck with the basic vanity URL because I don't see a need to pay extra money for the URL, and as a result haven't configured a GoDaddy domain. But I know a fair number of folks have struggled.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 1:50 PM
  • @Ken,

Thats great information thanks.

@Everyone

So far so good, server seems very responsive and cofiguring remote access came back as successful, i have configured the server to point to a homeserver.com name (based on Kens suggestion).  I am in the process of configuring the backups etc and will post back as soon as i have had a chance to test the remote access funtionality. 

Regards Adam Jamal (XBOX Lives ONI Assassin) Those who are truly brave will never live in fear
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 9:20 AM
  • @Ken,

"But I know a fair number of folks have struggled."  Do you know of anyone who has had success? I am trying to set up my vanity domain wiht Godaddy.  The process is "supposed" to be automated, but does seem to break down somewhere.  I am looking for some help to complete the task.

Thanks

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 5:22 AM