How to create users with access to shared folders only? RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to make the Home server available for users with access to shared folders only and no access to the home server console?
    I have several users I prefer not to have this option available!

Steven
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 10:02 PM

All replies

• In order to access the console, any user will need the console password. So just don't give it out. :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 10:11 PM
  • Of course but, can I create users with access to personal and shared folders only?
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 10:15 PM
  • No. The same software is installed on every computer that has the connector; there is no option in the installation to skip the installation of some features. So you'll have to be careful who you give the console password to.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 2:36 AM
  • If you create user accounts with appropriate password in the console, but do not install the Connector Software, you will not backup their PCs, but the users should have access to the shared folders.
    You could also remove the shortcut Windows Home Server from the startup folder. Since a service is in charge for backup, you will not see the icon any more on the client (until the next Connector software update happens). Maybe it can also be blocked with group policy, but there may happen side effects in this case with current version or future updates.
    The problem is, as long as the console password is known, which is also the local Administrator password for the WHS, a malicios user can start the connector software manually or directly use Remote Desktop access.
    So what Ken said: Keeping the console password secure is the only way to keep the server secure from insiders.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 8:15 AM