Problems with minimal Money 2005 RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to upgrade from Money 99 under Windows XP to Money Sunset under Windows 8.1.

I installed the Minimal Money 2005 to perform the intermediate conversion.  When it started, I declined the .NET option and chose not use a password.  Money presented popup about additional program files being downloaded.  I clicked OK and received a second popup about an update available.  I clicked OK there also.  Then I skipped account setup and it appeared to open the default My Money file OK.

I used Ctrl-O to navigate to my real file and tried to open it.  I received a popup asking to backup the file and elected not to.  Then I received a popup saying Money is updating the software to work with the file and I should wait till the update is complete.  It never does.  Clicking OK puts me in and endless loop with the update and additional files popups.

Any hints about what I'm doing wrong?
    Thursday, June 26, 2014 10:29 PM

All replies

• When you say you are installing Money 2005, which version are you using ?

You should download the correct Money 2005 version for your location from

the second sticky thread in this forum. It will be a complete install executable.

From your description of being prompted for an update, it sounds as if you're

using an original Money 2005 disc which would have been at level 730. This

did indeed then ask for an update to level 1105. This operation no longer

works as the update server doesn't exist anymore.

The complete Money 2005 install executable available via the sticky thread

is already at level 1105.

Monday, June 30, 2014 8:52 AM
  • I downloaded the 8,109KB webinst.exe file from the link provided in the second sticky thread.  I then executed this file to install what should be "a minimally functional version of US Money 2005".  The About Money help popup says it is version 14.0.0.1105.  When opening the default My Money file provided as part of the installation, it still notifies me about additional files and updates in two separate popups.  When I attempt to open my Money98 file, it says "Money is updating your software so it can work with this file.  On broadband Internet connections, this will take a few minutes.  On slower connections it may take several hours."  I have DSL connection which has an effective rate of 144 Mbps and have let the system run for hours without any result.

Tuesday, July 1, 2014 3:41 AM
  • I suggest not doing any updates during the process. If the process is not working for you on a computer running 64-bit Windows, I would try it on a computer running 32 bit Windows. Maybe borrow a computer or use your old one.

With that computer, I would first install Sunset. Then copy only the *.mny file that you would like to convert. Try to Open it with Microsoft Money Sunset. If that fails, uninstall Sunset, and go through the "minimally functional version of US Money 2005". Then copy the *.mny file over to the computer running 64-bit Windows, and open that file.

Thursday, July 3, 2014 2:14 AM
  • Sorry for bumping this old post but I'm running into exactly the same problem upgrading from Money 99 to Money Sunset (via Money 2005) and wondered if you found a solution?

I tried installing Money 2005 (webinst.exe from the 2nd sticky post) on both a 32-bit Windows XP machine and a 64-bit Windows 7 machine and both attempts to open the Money 99 file resulted in the same message "Money is updating your software so that you can work with this file.  On broadband Internet connections, the update will take a few minutes.  On slower connections, it may take several hours.  After you receive a message that the update is complete, close and reopen Money, and then open your file from the File menu."

Thanks!

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 5:49 PM
  • Sorry to hear about the problem. It may be that some required server that existed before went away. I don't know.

I would try installing Sunset directly. It may be able to convert your existing Money 99 file without the intermediate step. It may not, but it seems worth a try.

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 6:10 PM
  • Even though it claims to have compatibility issues, Money 99 successfully installed on Windows 8.1 (and also 7) using the original CD. I have not run into any problems using it on either system.

All my earlier attempts to install 2005 never got passed that update step.

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 6:12 PM