Why does user need to make a PC a hub again in standard user account? RRS feed

• Question

• Basically I have 2 user Vista accounts administrator user account and standard user account. I use the standard user account full time so i want to view the other computer in stardard user account but in order for me to do that i have to set the PC as a hub pc again which i already did in the administrator account. I'm just asking if Onecare can make it easier for user to set up the Hub PC one time.

Monday, March 24, 2008 10:08 PM

Answers

• I only have a single account on my Vista PCs, but I believe that OneCare configures itself under each account. I don't know why it does that, though. I suspect that the theory is that the PC is for a household, for example, and the admin account would want to be a hub, while the child accounts should not reflect that Hub status.

-steve

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 12:43 AM

All replies

• I only have a single account on my Vista PCs, but I believe that OneCare configures itself under each account. I don't know why it does that, though. I suspect that the theory is that the PC is for a household, for example, and the admin account would want to be a hub, while the child accounts should not reflect that Hub status.

-steve

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 12:43 AM
  • I can understand that administrator of the computer might not want the standard user account to monitor the status of the the other computer but the administrator which is the hub pc should have the option to allow each standard user account to be a hub PC so administrator don't have to sign in to the standard account and make it as a hub PC.
    Tuesday, March 25, 2008 2:57 AM
  • greenicon,

I would have thought that only an Administrator account could make a PC a hub, though I've never tried this. Did you get any UAC prompts during the Limited User change to hub status?

I don't believe that a Limited User should ever be allowed to have hub status unless they can invoke Administrator status with UAC, otherwise those being administered could override an Administrator's settings.

I also don't see the issue, since if I normally used the Limited Account then I'd set that account up with the hub and only use the Administrator account in rare circumstances for local PC management. Convenience has always been the opposite of security, so I'd rather see this requirement stay as it is, since it isn't that difficult to perform this once for each account as you've already done.

OneCareBear

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 3:44 AM