Problem after restoring files RRS feed

• Question

• I am using the 120 day evaluation copy of WHS on a custom built home server.  I have had absolutely no problems with my setup or connectivity until now.  I had to restore some files to my laptop, which had a working copy of WHS connector installed with zero problems.  I accidentally deleted some files and had to restore them from WHS.  Then, the next time I tried to backup my laptop to the home server or use the server connector console in any way I got some weird bugs.  First, it told my user account on the server was not valid.  I could hit the server and login and see all my files as normal using the My Network path, but could not use the "Shared Folders" shortcut on the desktop for some reason.  So, I figured I should re-install WHS Connector software and that would solve the problem.  Everything was fine until I got almost to the end of the WHS Connector software installation and then suddenly the installation stops and I get the message that "Windows Server Discovery Stopped Working" and it closes and the installation removes some files and I can't use the WHS Connector software.  Mind you, I can still access the server, files, and other computer through the "My Network" path, but the WHS Connector software will not install.

Can anyone help me?  I tried MS Support for WHS, but they told me they would charge me $79 for tech support for a product that I am using in evaluation.  Does that make sense to anyone?

Thanks in advance!

Saturday, June 6, 2009 6:55 PM

All replies

• I am using the 120 day evaluation copy of WHS on a custom built home server.  I have had absolutely no problems with my setup or connectivity until now.  I had to restore some files to my laptop, which had a working copy of WHS connector installed with zero problems.  I accidentally deleted some files and had to restore them from WHS.  Then, the next time I tried to backup my laptop to the home server or use the server connector console in any way I got some weird bugs.  First, it told my user account on the server was not valid.  I could hit the server and login and see all my files as normal using the My Network path, but could not use the "Shared Folders" shortcut on the desktop for some reason.  So, I figured I should re-install WHS Connector software and that would solve the problem.  Everything was fine until I got almost to the end of the WHS Connector software installation and then suddenly the installation stops and I get the message that "Windows Server Discovery Stopped Working" and it closes and the installation removes some files and I can't use the WHS Connector software.  Mind you, I can still access the server, files, and other computer through the "My Network" path, but the WHS Connector software will not install.

Did you try rebooting the server and client?  What types of files did you restore (personal data or OS/Progam files)?

Can anyone help me?  I tried MS Support for WHS, but they told me they would charge me $79 for tech support for a product that I am using in evaluation.  Does that make sense to anyone?

Actually, yes it does.  The fact that it's an eval is irrelevent.  You need assistance, but the full product is OEM only (which means you're expected to provide your own support).  If you can't provide your own support, you should consider getting a pre-built server from HP, Acer, etc. instead (which comes with support from those manufacturers).

Thanks in advance!

Saturday, June 6, 2009 9:02 PM
  • Yes, I did reboot the server and all the clients.  I also reset the router and verified the DHCP client list is normal.  The files that I restored were personal files, specifically it was the backup copy of my iTunes database.

I understand that it is OEM software.  If I was having a problem with the regular use of the software I would not have a problem, but the basic functionality of the product is the problem.  It doesn't matter what type of software you purchase, that is retail or OEM, the software has to retain its basic functionality otherwise the product is worthless.  Also, MS should be providing three times as much support for evaluation copies of their software than the normal support options.  Chances are if you evaluate something for 120 days you are going to keep it and pay for it, and you would be much less likely to keep it and pay for it knowing that it doesn't work.

Also, the OEM software doesn't mean there isn't any support options.  If you install an OEM copy of Windows Vista and have a problem you get free support options for a period of time to resolve whatever issues you may have.  As all the Window copies that I am running on my network are OEM versions, I can vouch for this.  OEM simply means that the installation, setup, configuration, and deployment of the software is not the responsibility of the manufacturer.
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 10:16 PM
  • Yes, I did reboot the server and all the clients.  I also reset the router and verified the DHCP client list is normal.  The files that I restored were personal files, specifically it was the backup copy of my iTunes database.

I understand that it is OEM software.  If I was having a problem with the regular use of the software I would not have a problem, but the basic functionality of the product is the problem.  It doesn't matter what type of software you purchase, that is retail or OEM, the software has to retain its basic functionality otherwise the product is worthless.  Also, MS should be providing three times as much support for evaluation copies of their software than the normal support options.  Chances are if you evaluate something for 120 days you are going to keep it and pay for it, and you would be much less likely to keep it and pay for it knowing that it doesn't work.

It does work.  I check periodically to make sure that I can view my backups as well as restore a few random files from them and it works every time.  There is something with your hardware/software, not WHS in general.  Did you try running chkdsk /r on the hard drives in your client and server?  Did you look at the Event Logs and WHS logs on the server to see if there is any additional information?  What add-ins/apps do you have installed (or had previously installed, then removed)?

Also, the OEM software doesn't mean there isn't any support options.  If you install an OEM copy of Windows Vista and have a problem you get free support options for a period of time to resolve whatever issues you may have.  As all the Window copies that I am running on my network are OEM versions, I can vouch for this.  OEM simply means that the installation, setup, configuration, and deployment of the software is not the responsibility of the manufacturer.
    No, you don't get free support from Microsoft with an OEM license (with the exception of critical updates not installing).  When a person (or company) purchases an OEM/System Builder copy of Windows (which they get at a discount), that person (or company) is responsible for support, not Microsoft.  That's the reason for the discount.  If you buy a pre-built computer from HP and they are using an OEM license (which obviously they are), they support the product, not Microsoft.  Feel free to check wikipedia, arstechnica, apcmag, and CNET if you don't believe me.
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 3:59 PM
  • It's not that I don't believe you at all.  It's just that I have several OEM copies and have received support from MS for those products.  In other words, I call in and talk to a tech support person, they ask for the version and license information, I give it to them and they provide me with support.  I'm not imagining those times. 

This method of getting help for this problem has proved just as pointless as the MS support system I am afraid.  It's a good thing I did not purchase a copy of this server software because I would be greatly disappointed.  Now I am off to get a hard drive big enough to move all my information off of my WHS so I can reformat it and turn it into some other type of server that doesn't flake out on me for weird reasons that no one understands.
    Monday, June 8, 2009 1:27 PM
  • Did you at any time modify the hosts or lmhosts files on the clients to point to a IP address for your server, which is no longer valid?
    What is the output of the following commands:
    On the server and one client:
    ipconfig /all
    Can you ping the server by name and IP address?

On the client:
    nslookup server
    nbtstat -A IP address of the server

Which firewall is running on the client? Which client OS is it?
    Is the user name you created on WHS identical with the user name on the client (and not the display name) and do the passwords match? See this FAQ.
    Did you enable the guest account on the server? Disable it.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, June 8, 2009 1:44 PM